xboard bug

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

xboard bug

Post by bob »

I am running this:

xboard 4.4.3.2 20100118 + zippy

when I type "messages" on ICC, I see no messages. Yet if I telnet in, I can see them just fine. Looks like xboard is eating them and sending them to the toilet, when I suppose it intends on popping up a new window or colorizing them???

Not critical as I can disconnect, telnet in, and see whatever messages are there...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: xboard bug

Post by hgm »

That is really weird. I don't have that exact same version, but for several versions (WB and XB) I tried, messages on ICC are displayed normally.

It could be that there is something inside the messages that makes XBoard choke on them. This often happens in help files, which give examples of commands and server replies, which XBoard then takes to be real commands (like a board, or move list).

It could also be that the colorization for messages is set to white. Messages are never (intentionally) sent to another window.

Could you run XBoard with the extra option -debug, log in to ICC, give the messages command, and then post the xboard.debug file that is madehere? (Removing any confidential information from it first! It seems that the debug file even faithfully lists your password!)
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

yes. where can we download this version ?

xboard 4.4.3.2 20100118 + zippy
hgm wrote: ................ I don't have that exact same version,
thanks

:wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:That is really weird. I don't have that exact same version, but for several versions (WB and XB) I tried, messages on ICC are displayed normally.

It could be that there is something inside the messages that makes XBoard choke on them. This often happens in help files, which give examples of commands and server replies, which XBoard then takes to be real commands (like a board, or move list).

It could also be that the colorization for messages is set to white. Messages are never (intentionally) sent to another window.

Could you run XBoard with the extra option -debug, log in to ICC, give the messages command, and then post the xboard.debug file that is madehere? (Removing any confidential information from it first! It seems that the debug file even faithfully lists your password!)
I am going to have to wait. I read and cleared the message with telnet, although I didn't see anything odd. I send myself a message with xboard and it displayed normally.

What I was seeing was a simple

and then nothing else. Not even another prompt, which is odd. But if I type another command it is executed, I get a normal prompt and things seem fine...