Minimum Winboard command set for ICS

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nanochess

Minimum Winboard command set for ICS

Post by nanochess »

Hi everybody. I would like to ask if there is a minimum required Winboard command set for ICS.

Thanks in advance.
All good things are difficult to achieve.
Toledo Nanochess book http://www.amazon.com/Toledo-Nanochess- ... 1304864375
bob

Re: Minimum Winboard command set for ICS

Post by bob »

nanochess wrote:Hi everybody. I would like to ask if there is a minimum required Winboard command set for ICS.

Thanks in advance.
You need to at least deal with these:

(1) "time" so that you will be aware of how much time is left on your clock. "otim" if you care about the time left on your opponent's clock.

(2) "level" although you can play without this. But you will then know about the time control being used to better allocate time.

(3) "force" so that you can deal with adjourned games. "edit" is an inferior alternative if you prefer.

(4) "white", "black" and "go" so that you will know which color to play and when you should immediately start searching for a move when a game starts or resumes.

There are several others that are useful/helpful, they are in the "engine-intf.html" file in the xboard source distro.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

bob wrote:
nanochess wrote:Hi everybody. I would like to ask if there is a minimum required Winboard command set for ICS.

Thanks in advance.

(1) "time" so that you will be aware of how much time is left on your clock. "otim" if you care about the time left on your opponent's clock.

(2) "level" although you can play without this. But you will then know about the time control being used to better allocate time.

(3) "force" so that you can deal with adjourned games. "edit" is an inferior alternative if you prefer.

(4) "white", "black" and "go" so that you will know which color to play and when you should immediately start searching for a move when a game starts or resumes.

There are several others that are useful/helpful, they are in the "engine-intf.html" file in the xboard source distro.
Awfully nice to have:

implement protover 2 so that the GUIs can tell what feature set you have.
TonyJH

Post by TonyJH »

bob wrote:

Thanks in advance.

"white" and "black" are not needed:
"If colors=1, xboard uses the obsolete "white" and "black" commands in a stylized way that works with most older chess engines that require the commands."

I agree with the other commands mentioned. I'd recommend also supporting "new" and "quit".