LMR at root of search tree - worthwhile?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

silentshark

LMR at root of search tree - worthwhile?

Post by silentshark »

The subject says it all!

Not tried this, is it worth a punt?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: LMR at root of search tree - worthwhile?

Post by hgm »

I never was able to measure any benefit from LMR in the first place. I always have done it in the root. It never occurred to me to treat the root differently from any other node.
zamar

Post by zamar »

Stockfish gained ~15 elo we started to use LMR at the root.
Joona Kiiski
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

Opposite, for me LMR always worked very well but never at the root. I remember trying it at the root with absolutely no success. It's not necessary however to fail for you as well. Give it a try and post the results, would you.
P.S. if the gain is 15 elo, as Joona said, probably I wasn't able to measure it since I trow it out to soon. Who knows.
Aaron Becker

Post by Aaron Becker »

In Daydreamer it gave me a statistically insignificant positive result (<10 elo). I kept it in because I like to treat root nodes similarly to interior nodes unless there is a compelling reason not to.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I got small improvement from it.
Caution : Root move ordering could be messed up if you use nodes count to sort the moves. I had this bug http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#334554
Sorting on the cummulative nodes count from all the previous iterations (instead of just the previous one) solved this problem.
bob

Post by bob »

silentshark wrote:The subject says it all!

Not tried this, is it worth a punt?
Been using it at _all_ nodes in the tree since I started. It has a bigger impact at the root since the resulting sub-trees are all very deep. Not sure why you would want to do it at 2 and up but not at 1. There are lousy moves at the root that can safely be reduced.
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Shawul wrote:I got small improvement from it.
Caution : Root move ordering could be messed up if you use nodes count to sort the moves. I had this bug http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#334554
Sorting on the cummulative nodes count from all the previous iterations (instead of just the previous one) solved this problem.
Note that the "L" in LMR means "late". I would likely not want to reduce the second move I search, which could be the previous best move.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I should add that in my Xiangqi engine LMR improved it enormously. (Also done at the root.)
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

cheers, guys, that sounds like it's worth a try. I will give it a go and post my results. I'm still ordering by #nodes@previous ply at the root, but don't see why I can't use LMR there too.

Interesting to see the +15 elo figure for stockfish..