Null-move pruning and the hash table

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Null-move pruning and the hash table

Post by hgm »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:I've only tried so far the verified null move pruning, where after cut-off, the search continues with reduced depth.
That is the same thing. The position after two null moves in a row is the same, with the same side to move, as the original position. And the search was reduced because of the two null moves. So you search the original position with reduced depth, which is the verification search, and when it fails low, the second null move returns a fail high, and the first a fail low, and you search the same position again, but now at full depth. Which you would normally do when the verification search fails low.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

Hm, never thought about it, i should consider that more deeply. Thanks for pointing this out.
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:
Mincho Georgiev wrote:Recursive null move pruning is widely spread scheme. This means, that
more than one null moves are allowed in one branch (line) of the search.
However, this is absolutely different from making 2/3 null moves in a row.
The last brings a huge risk of tactical blunders and it may cause the search to assume that position is good and cuts off, when actually could be very bad instead.
Why is that? I don't pay any attention to the number of null moves in a row in micro-Max, and found never any adverse effects of it. I would say at the very worst it could be a (small) waste of time. Two null moves in a row cannot both fail high. For the first to fail high, it is necessary that the second fails low, and then it would be like you had not searched it at all, as a low-failing null move does not affect the search or score. You only prune when it fails high. And if the second null move fails high, making the first fail low, where it otherwise would have failed high, it merely means that you are in zugzwang, and that the search after the two null moves acted as a verification search that detected that (despite of its high reduction), so that you don't trust the null-move, and do a normal search in stead.
I did some testing and got mixed results, so I am making a cluster run that will have the best 23.2 version so far, then that version without the code that disallows two nulls in a row, and then using the same modified code, allowing nulls anywhere including pawn-only endings...

More when that finishes.
Mincho Georgiev

Nice, I've just started something similar (rows vs recursive_only) 2h ago, and I'm very interested to see the results of yours.
micron

Post by micron »

michiguel wrote:
micron wrote:I just implemented null-move pruning in Spandrel.
Spandrel is a gould name!

Miguel
PS: architect or evolutionary biologist?
Nice pun :-)
Bridge design enthusiast. The wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandrel_(biology) describes Gould & Lewontin's borrowing of 'spandrel' for biology.
Robert P.
bob

Post by bob »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:Nice, I've just started something similar (rows vs recursive_only) 2h ago, and I'm very interested to see the results of yours.
Going way slower than I thought. Student hung up all but one node on the cluster, his distributed program apparently deadlocked so that the job will never finish. Trying to get it cleared out right now in fact.
Mincho Georgiev

bob wrote:
Mincho Georgiev wrote:Nice, I've just started something similar (rows vs recursive_only) 2h ago, and I'm very interested to see the results of yours.
Going way slower than I thought. Student hung up all but one node on the cluster, his distributed program apparently deadlocked so that the job will never finish. Trying to get it cleared out right now in fact.
Oh, I hope you clear it. I'll post mine after 500-1000 games.
bob

Post by bob »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:
bob wrote:
Oh, I hope you clear it. I'll post mine after 500-1000 games.
Making progress now. Early results:

Code: Select all

Crafty-23.2R01-1     2658    3    3 30000   61%  2577   23% 
    Crafty-23.2R07       2655    4    4 14843   60%  2577   23% 
R01 is best 23.2 version (has actually become 23.3 now). R07 is "null-after-null-OK but no nulls if no pieces left. I also have R08 queued up that removes the "no pieces left" restriction and does nulls everywhere, even after nulls.
bob

Post by bob »

micron wrote:
Teemu Pudas wrote:[1] if (tt_depth >= depth - R - 1 && tt_score < beta && tt_type & UPPER) skip_null(); // If a plain reduced search without nullmove won't produce a cutoff...

[2] You have a bug.
[1] Ah, thank you, that seems to predict reliably that null-move won't cutoff and therefore should not be attempted. In my program, though, it turns out to save a negligible number of attempts.
Without skip_null: 45366 null-moves 36240 cutoffs (79%)
With skip_null: 45304 null moves 36240 cutoffs (79%)
Search deeper. Those should be in the millions, not tens of thousands. The deeper you go, the more hash hits you will see (particularly when draft < depth).

[2] Good, if I can fix the bug in the TT save, null-move pruning should produce even better results...

Robert P.
bob

Post by bob »

Ok, The jury is back, and the verdict is "don't do this." It is only worth about 2-3 Elo to not do back-to-back nulls, and the reason seems to be efficiency. After the cluster test showed the idea to be slightly worse, I ran some test positions with some additional statistics gathered. A null after a null does not fail high very often. And when it doesn't, it is a total waste of time. If you disallow a null right after a null, you gain just a bit of zugzwang protection, but you lose a little more in efficiency due to the extra null-move searches that fail low and don't refute the previous null-move.

I'm sticking with the current approach. I will test both of these versions by adding verification, for completeness, but it seems like a very slightly worse way of doing null-move searches, although it is not very significant overall. But as I have often said, give away a couple of Elo here, a couple there, and soon you are working on a patzer. :)

Code: Select all

Crafty-23.2R08       2653    6    6  6974   61%  2569   23% 
    Crafty-23.2R01-1     2651    3    3 30000   61%  2570   23% 
    Crafty-23.2R07-1     2648    3    3 30000   60%  2570   23% 
R08 is the version with double-nulls allowed, and nulls can be done even in pawn-only endings. It always looks a bit better until the 15-20,000 game point where it has dropped back to about the same.

Note that R01 does win one more game out of every 100 than R07 (the double-null version).. I'll post the complete results in a couple of hours when I get out of class... Test should have finished by then.