Unusual Hash Probe results?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Fguy64

Unusual Hash Probe results?

Post by Fguy64 »

Greetings, I am experimenting with fixed depth search, which means no iterative deepening, no Q search, and I am not dealing with hash moves, just transpositions.

OK so a hit is defined as a hash key match and remaining depth <= stored depth.

So I am comparing results when I am only using exact matches on the search depth, to those where depth <= stored depth. Is it possible with a properly functioning system that changing the condition from == to <= should result in a small increase in leaf nodes? I am noticing this with a small percentage of the WAC positions I am testing with. No change in PV and eval, just a small increase in nodes. This seems counter intuitive to me.
tvrzsky

Re: Unusual Hash Probe results?

Post by tvrzsky »

Could you provide me some of those positions in question? I would like to run the same test and let's see if I observe this effect.
Fguy64

Re: Unusual Hash Probe results?

Post by Fguy64 »

tvrzsky wrote:Could you provide me some of those positions in question? I would like to run the same test and let's see if I observe this effect.
Well. I ended up doing some reworking in my engine code for another reason, so I am not in a position to try and replicate the situation. Nor am I 100% certain which position I was testing. I should be able to try again let you know on the weekend.

In the meantime, I have been informed by an expert in the field that such a scenario is possible, it does not necessarily mean a problem