Uncompressed TB format

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Uncompressed TB format

Post by Brunetti »

Where could I find infos about the file format of uncompressed TB's, like Gaviota's for example?

Alex
michiguel

Re: Uncompressed TB format

Post by michiguel »

Brunetti wrote:Where could I find infos about the file format of uncompressed TB's, like Gaviota's for example?

Alex
Hi Alex,

I have not received any complain about the compressed TBs, so I am assuming there is no major bug. Having completed this "phase" of testing, the next one is to release the probing code. I am currently cleaning up the code before I do that. My goal is to do it in the next couple of weeks. So, if you wait a little, you can have all the information you need from there. If your interest is to use them in a program, the APIs will be all you need.

Miguel
Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

michiguel wrote:if you wait a little, you can have all the information you need from there. If your interest is to use them in a program, the APIs will be all you need.
Hi Miguel,
thanx for your answer. My interest is not to use them in my engine, but to read some specific positions data from any TB (like yours), process them and use the results for my material specific eval. For example, I'd like to find all KQkr positions where White mates exactly in 15 moves. So, I need to know the file format (of yours or any other TB), write a simple lookup function and read the data. That's all :)

Alex
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Brunetti wrote:
michiguel wrote:if you wait a little, you can have all the information you need from there. If your interest is to use them in a program, the APIs will be all you need.
Hi Miguel,
thanx for your answer. My interest is not to use them in my engine, but to read some specific positions data from any TB (like yours), process them and use the results for my material specific eval. For example, I'd like to find all KQkr positions where White mates exactly in 15 moves. So, I need to know the file format (of yours or any other TB), write a simple lookup function and read the data. That's all :)

Alex
The program Wilhelm by R. Andrist does all of that: Analyse Endgames with certain criteria and print a report.

regards,
Edmund
Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

Edmund wrote:The program Wilhelm by R. Andrist does all of that: Analyse Endgames with certain criteria and print a report.
Thanx Edmund, found and tested (with some Hyatt's emds) but it doesn't exactly do or allow to do that :cry:

Regards, Alex
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The tablebase generator on my website generates EGTs with a trivial indexing scheme, just concatenating the 6-bit square numbers. (Except for the '4' bit of the white King file number, which provides a hole because the white King is in the ower-left quarter of the board; this hole is filled by the '2' bit of the white King rank number (the '16' bit of the white King square number), so that both the '16'-bit and the '32'-bit of the white King square number (the two highest-order bits of the index) are not needed.

It des not write the EGT to disk, but you could just extract the statisic you need from the RAM array.

The major snag is that it cannot do Pawns. (But if you are interested n KQKR, that wouldn't be a problem.) It generates a Pawnless 5-men in 2 to 4 minutes.
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Brunetti wrote:
Edmund wrote:The program Wilhelm by R. Andrist does all of that: Analyse Endgames with certain criteria and print a report.
Thanx Edmund, found and tested (with some Hyatt's emds) but it doesn't exactly do or allow to do that :cry:

Regards, Alex
1) run wilhelm
2) set the paths to the egtbs correctly in the options
3) setup any position with the pieces you want (Ctrl+E)
4) go to the egtb analysis window (Ctrl+T)
5) enter the criteria (white wins in 15 to 15 moves in your case)
6) right-click on every piece and then left click to mark the squares the piece may stand on
7) start the analysis
8) save the result / go through the positions with the arrow buttons on the bottom right / etc.

hope that helps,
Edmund