Windows development

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Windows development

Post by James Constance »

If I wanted to develop an interface for chess engines (for windows), what would be the best software/development kit to use? I've only got experience programming in BASIC type languages, but could learn another if worthwhile.

thanks

James
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Re: Windows development

Post by stegemma »

James Constance wrote:If I wanted to develop an interface for chess engines (for windows), what would be the best software/development kit to use? I've only got experience programming in BASIC type languages, but could learn another if worthwhile.

thanks

James
I use both VC++ and Borland C++ Builder. The last maybe is the better one, for those who wants learn another language, because the IDE is a lot similar to Visual Basic. The VC++ has more robust and stable environment and better debugging features, imho. The VCL (Visual Component Library) of Borland are very good if you want to write a graphical interface for chess. Another option is to try Delphi, but i nver use it.

Maybe, because you want to learn some new language, could be interesting to start directly with Java, so that your interface can be ready for the WEB.

At last... even Visual Basic itself could be a good choice but i don't like the needs to install Activex/DLL and other things with your programs, to make it runs properly.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Delphi is IMHO the fastest, most robust way to develop GUI applications. The Object Pascal language will also be easier to learn C if you're coming from Basic.

Also take a look at JVCL and their components, a freeware library of components. They have a free component that reads and write to the standard windows i/o pipes, which is the way you will need to communicate with Winboard and UCI engines.

Cheers,

Steve
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

One of the best Java and a host of other languages IDE's available has a community edition that features amongst other things a GUI builder. If you fancy learning a new language like Java/Groovy/Scala/Clojure IntelliJ IDEA is a great alternative.
Windows centric programming also allows for choosing the .net language family like C#/F#/Iron-Python;Ruby. There Visual Studio or SharpDevelop offer nice IDE's.

MvH Dan Andersson
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

James Constance wrote:If I wanted to develop an interface for chess engines (for windows), what would be the best software/development kit to use? I've only got experience programming in BASIC type languages, but could learn another if worthwhile.

thanks

James
I'd definitely recommend .NET; it's easy and fast. Since you're familiar with BASIC, you could use Visual Basic .NET. I personally prefer C#, but it shouldn't make much difference. It's even possible to run the compiled result under Linux with MONO.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

If you really want to develop nice interface, i recomend you this:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tabs/tabb ... ework.aspx

WTL is complicated, but once you get familiar with it, it consumes far less time than writing such an interface from scratch. You can use only the framework with your own classes and custom controls (like the chess board for example) attached to it. Good Luck!
bob

Post by bob »

thanks

James
A razor blade. Go ahead and slit your wrists now and avoid the anguish you are fixing to encounter. :)
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Greg Strong wrote:

thanks

James
I'd definitely recommend .NET; it's easy and fast. Since you're familiar with BASIC, you could use Visual Basic .NET. I personally prefer C#, but it shouldn't make much difference. It's even possible to run the compiled result under Linux with MONO.
I'd second that. The .NET environment is pretty nice for GUI-type stuff. That's probably the best bet here. You can use VB too, although I would like if every trace of that language were wiped off the face of the planet...
James Constance

bob wrote:

thanks

James
A razor blade. Go ahead and slit your wrists now and avoid the anguish you are fixing to encounter. :)
oh dear! is it really that bad? :shock:
James Constance

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll have to look into them.

More opinions welcome!