Kudos to Tord on Glaurung for iPhone

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Re: Kudos to Tord on Glaurung for iPhone

Post by smcracraft »

Tord Romstad wrote:
smcracraft wrote:
trojanfoe wrote:I've just bought myself an iPhone 3g and have installed abaia and I have to say it's brilliant! Excellent work Tord!

Cheers,
Andy
Andy, I went to the App store but see no mention of "Abaia".
Abaia is distributed through Cydia, for jailbroken phones. It is the version I recommend everyone to use if they can. It is updated with important bug fixes more quickly (because I can skip Apple's painfully slow review process for the App Store), and is likely to grow a few features in the future which I can't implement in the App Store version. Right now, Abaia is relatively stable, while Glaurung has several major bugs (which I have fixed, but I'm still waiting for the updated version to show up at the App Store).

The only good reason to run Glaurung is if you for some reason cannot or don't want to jailbreak your device.

Tord
Okay - have downloaded Abaia from Cydia. Looks great.

Please post when Glaurung GUI-bugs-fixed version becomes
available from the Apps store.

I like the name better than Abaia. :-)

Stuart
Tord Romstad

Re: Kudos to Tord on Glaurung for iPhone

Post by Tord Romstad »

smcracraft wrote:Okay - have downloaded Abaia from Cydia. Looks great.

Please post when Glaurung GUI-bugs-fixed version becomes
available from the Apps store.
Glaurung 1.0.1 has been available from the App Store since a few days now. Despite the identical version numbers, this is actually a very slightly newer version than Abaia 1.0.1. The only visible difference is that the slider for adjusting the strength has been replaced by a more user-friendly control. There are also two tiny little bug fixes, related to setting en passant squares in the position editor.
I like the name better than Abaia. :-)
I think I like Abaia better, perhaps because I like Wolfe better than Tolkien. :)

Tord