Increasing SNR with last seconds noise filtering

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Increasing SNR with last seconds noise filtering

Post by mcostalba »

A practical way to test a patch is to run a session of blitz one minute games between engines.

I have observed that sometimes, the players arrive to the last few seconds in a condition where one engine is in a clear advantage, then suddendly, due to extreme time pressure, a blunders occurs and the advantage disappears and the game ends up in a draw, more rarely in a loss.

In the long term these blunders are evenly distributed between the two engine. But…”in the long term”, this is the key point.

These blunders are a noise and can be attribute to the blitz time limit, in longer matches these kind of extreme time pressure blunders are rare.

I am wondering to add a last seconds noise (LSN) filtering that works as following:

When an engine is loosing by at least a LSN thersold value and remaining time is less then LSN limit then the engine giveups without further fighting.

I am expecting that the testing time (read the number of matches) to validate or reject a patch will be shortened using this technique.

BTW LSN can prevent also another more subtle issue: the lucky draws.

Sometime an engine A is in a clear advantage against B at few seconds from the end, then, also without blunders, engine B manages to draw, as example for perpetual checking.

So we can have 10 draws where engine A is drawed by perpetuals by B while in clear advantage at few seconds from time limit. There is no blunder and is also perfectly legal, the two engines A and B, techicaly speaking should have the same ELO, but from a developer point of view that has to choose if accepting or rejecting a patch, there is little doubt that engine A should be preferred to engine B.

LSN filtering could help also in these cases.

Anyone has some experience on this?

Thanks
Marco
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Increasing SNR with last seconds noise filtering

Post by hgm »

Sudden-death games should be considered a severe test of time-management code, in the sens that a lousy time management will cause an enormous Elo reduction, while with normal time control you can get away with it (and does will have a larger Elo).

If you don't want to test the time management of an engine, you should not use sudden-death games. If you do want to test the time management above all other aspects, you should.

That's all there is to it.
bob

Re: Increasing SNR with last seconds noise filtering

Post by bob »

mcostalba wrote:A practical way to test a patch is to run a session of blitz one minute games between engines.

I have observed that sometimes, the players arrive to the last few seconds in a condition where one engine is in a clear advantage, then suddendly, due to extreme time pressure, a blunders occurs and the advantage disappears and the game ends up in a draw, more rarely in a loss.

In the long term these blunders are evenly distributed between the two engine. But…”in the long term”, this is the key point.

These blunders are a noise and can be attribute to the blitz time limit, in longer matches these kind of extreme time pressure blunders are rare.

I am wondering to add a last seconds noise (LSN) filtering that works as following:

When an engine is loosing by at least a LSN thersold value and remaining time is less then LSN limit then the engine giveups without further fighting.

I am expecting that the testing time (read the number of matches) to validate or reject a patch will be shortened using this technique.

BTW LSN can prevent also another more subtle issue: the lucky draws.

Sometime an engine A is in a clear advantage against B at few seconds from the end, then, also without blunders, engine B manages to draw, as example for perpetual checking.

So we can have 10 draws where engine A is drawed by perpetuals by B while in clear advantage at few seconds from time limit. There is no blunder and is also perfectly legal, the two engines A and B, techicaly speaking should have the same ELO, but from a developer point of view that has to choose if accepting or rejecting a patch, there is little doubt that engine A should be preferred to engine B.

LSN filtering could help also in these cases.

Anyone has some experience on this?

Thanks
Marco
Another worry. I have been running millions of games over the past 2-3 weeks. And I have clearly seen cases where changing the time per move makes a huge difference in how programs compare. I have been tuning some based on pretty quick games (10 secs on the clock, 10ms increment) but have to frequently go back and re-test with longer games as I have had cases where a change works better on the quick games and is worse on the longer games.

This is not a simple task...

BTW much of the noise disappears if you use an increment, so that one never runs out of time unless there is a bug. But that only heightens the other issue further...