Authors of WinBoard SMP engines, take note!

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Authors of WinBoard SMP engines, take note!

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:The WinBoard engine-output wndow scrolls downward, so normally the last PV would be at the top. With normal seach this is then also the best one, in engines that print a PV every time they change the root move. So the engine should print the multi-PVs low to high score, after the iteration finishes.

Having the multi-PV also appear in the PGN is something that did not occur to me yet. So far no PVs are stored by WB in the PGN at all.
I was just explaining the "annotate" behavior in Crafty, which is something not normally used with xboard anyway. It is more of a "batch processing" deal that is done in the background somewhere with no GUI at all.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Authors of WinBoard SMP engines, take note!

Post by hgm »

Sure, I know that xboard / WinBoard do not support it, but that does not mean that it could not be added, if this is a desirable feature. Currently, the option -pgnExtendedInfo true only includes the score, depth and time as comments in the PGN (which obviously always contains the root move). An option could be added to include the remaining moves of the PV as well. I have seen PGNs that had this (not made by xboard, obviously).