SEE problem

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: SEE problem

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:OK, sorry. In flat mode that isn't always obvious. :oops:

I don't really like either mode. flat obfuscates order. threaded runs out of indent room too quickly and also obfuscates order.

usenet news really has it "right", but unfortunately we are not using that.
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

bob wrote:

I don't really like either mode. flat obfuscates order. threaded runs out of indent room too quickly and also obfuscates order.

Flat mode works wonderfully if people quote exactly what they are replying to, which is the practice on other phpbb boards I visit, which have no support for threaded mode at all. If everyone was using flat mode, clearer conversations might result.

The threaded mode is annoying and useless. I'd love to see threaded mode removed entirely.
bob

Post by bob »

wgarvin wrote:
bob wrote:

Flat mode works wonderfully if people quote exactly what they are replying to, which is the practice on other phpbb boards I visit, which have no support for threaded mode at all. If everyone was using flat mode, clearer conversations might result.

The threaded mode is annoying and useless. I'd love to see threaded mode removed entirely.
I'd love to see the current approach eliminated completely, and a moderated usenet newsgroup started. That is far cleaner...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

wgarvin wrote:Flat mode works wonderfully if people quote exactly what they are replying to, which is the practice on other phpbb boards I visit, which have no support for threaded mode at all. If everyone was using flat mode, clearer conversations might result.
I completely agree. Threaded mode is a pest, corrupting the readability of the forum.