Question about piece subset perft

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlcesChess

Question about piece subset perft

Post by AlcesChess »

I am starting on my first chess program and would like to test the move generation for each type of piece as it is written. To this end I would appreciate suggestions on where to get a program (or source which is straightforward and easy to modify) which will give me perft values for subsets of the pieces.

For instance: I would like to write knight move generation and validate against a proper perft value which ignores pins and moves by all other pieces. Then I will write a bishop move generator and do the same considering diagonal pins and moves by queens, bishops, and knights.

Any help is appreciated.

~Ryan
bob

Re: Question about piece subset perft

Post by bob »

AlcesChess wrote:I am starting on my first chess program and would like to test the move generation for each type of piece as it is written. To this end I would appreciate suggestions on where to get a program (or source which is straightforward and easy to modify) which will give me perft values for subsets of the pieces.

For instance: I would like to write knight move generation and validate against a proper perft value which ignores pins and moves by all other pieces. Then I will write a bishop move generator and do the same considering diagonal pins and moves by queens, bishops, and knights.

Any help is appreciated.

~Ryan
Why not just use any program, but set up the board so there are only knights on the board (of course, kings might be necessary so you probably should write that one first and check it out.) Then you could add knights or any other piece and just use a starting position with just that kind of piece plus the kings...