Lost posts

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Lost posts

Post by sje »

It looks like there are about four and a half days of lost posts.
Carey

Re: Lost posts

Post by Carey »

The chess forum is in the process of moving. Members got an email notifiaction about this some days back. Visitors, of course, got no warning.

Because of the move, several days worth of posts are missing. Plus, other messages seem to suggest other issues, such as damaged posts, posts incorrectly credited to the wrong poster, etc.

However, if you go to the old forum IP address you can still recover the old messages. At least until that gets shut down.

http://216.25.93.108/forum/viewforum.ph ... view=flat

I suggest everybody save any important threads or posts to your hard drive. Just go to the 'file' menu and select 'save as' to save a copy to your local drive.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Carey wrote:The chess forum is in the process of moving. Members got an email notifiaction about this some days back. Visitors, of course, got no warning.
Not true actually.
Quentin made an announcement in the forums stating that with the new move, this was likely to happen and that members should make backup copies of any posts that they wanted to retain.

Regards, Graham.
Carey

Post by Carey »

Graham Banks wrote:
Carey wrote:The chess forum is in the process of moving. Members got an email notifiaction about this some days back. Visitors, of course, got no warning.
Not true actually.
Quentin made an announcement in the forums stating that with the new move, this was likely to happen and that members should make backup copies of any posts that they wanted to retain.

Regards, Graham.
Then let me make a minor correction to what I said and say....

Visitors to *this* forum got no warning.

I browse here every couple days and I don't remember seeing any notice. I might have missed it, since I've been rather preoccupied this week, but I don't remember seeing it. (Of course, I knew about it already, since I'm a member.)

No sticky thread / notice at the top of the page, etc. to alert new visitors.

So if anybody bookmarked just this forum (like I do), then they wouldn't have seen it and known to save any threads they were interested in.

Of course, it's not really an issue for me. I was just adding that one little line to the post to cover all the visitors.

(shrug)