Question about posting data comparing Crafty vs Rybka

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vb4

Question about posting data comparing Crafty vs Rybka

Post by vb4 »

I have generated some data comparing Crafty to Rybka which shows some considerable differences and wanted to post it here for your thoughts. Since I want the table to be clear and aligned can I just copy a table from Notepad and expect the format to stay aligned? I prefer not to have to retype the data. Bob perhaps when you have had a chance to review this data I would be interested to hear your explanation as to what causes some of the differences in the data.

Thanks,

Les
Uri Blass

Re: Question about posting data comparing Crafty vs Rybka

Post by Uri Blass »

vb4 wrote:I have generated some data comparing Crafty to Rybka which shows some considerable differences and wanted to post it here for your thoughts. Since I want the table to be clear and aligned can I just copy a table from Notepad and expect the format to stay aligned? I prefer not to have to retype the data. Bob perhaps when you have had a chance to review this data I would be interested to hear your explanation as to what causes some of the differences in the data.

Thanks,

Les
Can you explain what type of comparison did you do?

Note that you can click preview before posting and see how other people are going to see your post before posting it.

Uri
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

Use the [code] and [/code] tags around the piece of text you want to be formatted with a fixed font.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Uri,

Basically I ran 1 EPD position and from that 1 position I generated the 4 way reflections and also all slider positions. My definition of a slider is taking the piece to move and placing it on all legal squares that can also reach the target square. What I have found in looking at the data is what appears to be a very large difference in the number of seconds and total number of moves needed to find the mate move. I will post it this evening when I get home to see if one of you guys can offer an explanation for the differences. I will report which versions of the 2 engines were used in the analysis. I believe the hardware was the same for both engines.

See you later,

Les