Eden and my status

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nczempin

Eden and my status

Post by nczempin »

Someone broke into my apartment and stole the laptop (as well as my kids' gameboy). I do have backups of the Eden source code, but not of the latest version.

I probably have to start from scratch with the next version. I was in the middle of major restructurings anyway, so perhaps it is not as bad as it sounds.

However, I currently don't know when I'll be working on it again. Rest assured I'll let you know.

Instead, in my quest for knowledge in areas I have no clue about, I have ordered the Pico Edition of the XGamestation (http://www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=34), a "retro" game console that you can build yourself. I'm planning to write a chess program for it, just to see what I can achieve with only 2k of memory, in SX28 assembly code.
Zlaire

Re: Eden and my status

Post by Zlaire »

I keep getting surprised at how people keep only one copy of their work.

Never fun to lose your laptop though. :(
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Zlaire wrote:I keep getting surprised at how people keep only one copy of their work.
Especially when these people should know better, like me! :-)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Yes, I am also such a risk taker. Before going on holiday, I made a copy of the Joker sources on an USB stick. But if my house would have burned, that would not have prevented it from being lost.

I really should find a better solution to this, e.g. e-mail it to myself at work.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Hi Nicolai,

The good thing about Java class files is that they can easiily be de-compiled back to Java.

Check your pm :wink:

best,
Jim.
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

hgm wrote:Yes, I am also such a risk taker. Before going on holiday, I made a copy of the Joker sources on an USB stick. But if my house would have burned, that would not have prevented it from being lost.

I really should find a better solution to this, e.g. e-mail it to myself at work.
Great idea, how about offsite on another member's (or two) machines. I usually only download exe's but can download sources too.
Am willing to help the first two or three authors that need backups. Hopefully, this is for moderate size sources and not huge DB's.
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

I've been looking for a new controller kit. The Pico seems a bit cramped so I'm probably going for the Hydra. The Propeller multi core chip is a savory treat. The SRAM card from Andre will feature a CPLD AFAIK.

MvH Dan Andersson
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Since Eden 0.0.11 is found here:
http://homepages.tesco.net/henry.ablett/jims.html

Jim must have the original source of 0.0.11 or he could not have made a binary.

Even if it is only the jar file, you can get the source back from the classes.
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Dann Corbit wrote:Since Eden 0.0.11 is found here:
http://homepages.tesco.net/henry.ablett/jims.html

Jim must have the original source of 0.0.11 or he could not have made a binary.

Even if it is only the jar file, you can get the source back from the classes.
He doesn't have the original soure, he didn't need it for the binary.

He did send me the decompiled version though (which I could have got myself); one excuse less for me :-)

And of course no-one can decompile all the work I had done since 0.0.11 (except the thief, of course).
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Dan Andersson wrote:I've been looking for a new controller kit. The Pico seems a bit cramped so I'm probably going for the Hydra. The Propeller multi core chip is a savory treat. The SRAM card from Andre will feature a CPLD AFAIK.

MvH Dan Andersson
I'll get the Hydra eventually (and the Micro Edition), but I really want to catch up on my hardware skills; that's why I got the Pico first. It is also much more of a challenge to program it. Of course Hydra is also a challenge, but on a different level.