Ryzen 2 and BMI2?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Ryzen 2 and BMI2?

Post by syzygy »

mvanthoor wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm I'll wait for something from Intel in 2021. I refuse to buy a CPU with crippled BMI2/PEXT execution if that is the one thing I actually NEED for my personal programming project :shock:
We can still hope that Zen 3 will fix pext/pdep...
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

syzygy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 pm
mvanthoor wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm I'll wait for something from Intel in 2021. I refuse to buy a CPU with crippled BMI2/PEXT execution if that is the one thing I actually NEED for my personal programming project :shock:
I hope so. Then they also need to fix the X570 chipset, because I don't want a fan on my chipset.

For me to seriously consider an AMD setup the following would need to be true:

- At least 12 cores
- Fix the X570 chipset: a new X670 without a fan, or B550 high-end mainboards with good VRM's (maybe the latter is already true)
- Fix BMI2/PEXT/PDEP

Otherwise I'll just keep my old 6700K and wait what Intel's going to do with their X299 platform.

If I hadn't gotten into computer chess which requires a lot of testing, I would have easily kept the 6700K for another 3-4 years.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

mvanthoor wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 pm
syzygy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 pm
I hope so. Then they also need to fix the X570 chipset, because I don't want a fan on my chipset.

For me to seriously consider an AMD setup the following would need to be true:

- At least 12 cores
- Fix the X570 chipset: a new X670 without a fan, or B550 high-end mainboards with good VRM's (maybe the latter is already true)
- Fix BMI2/PEXT/PDEP
I'm afraid that AMD won't fix pext/pdep in the short term because it takes a lot of real-estate and it is not in AMD's interest to do so.
It seems that Intel has a patent on the efficient hardware implementation of these instructions, so AMD probably has to pay royalties for it.

Fans on chipsets are indeed a nuisance, not because they make much noise, but because the main-board manufacturers use very cheap fans that usually break down after a year of permanent use. My TRX40 main-board has a fan on it too, something I don't like.

Right now I have 3 large machines, an i7-6950X, i9-10980XE and the TR-3970X, some smaller stuff too. I'm thinking about putting the i7-6950X machine on tweakers or marktplaats because it more or less stands in my way.