Winter is Coming (Amoeba, Beef, Combusk, Demoli, Fab, Halogen, Koivi, Lc0, Marvin, Minic, Nemori, Orion, Pedone, Winter)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Angle
Full name: Aleksey Glebov

Re: Winter is Coming (Amoeba, Beef, Combusk, Demoli, Fab, Halogen, Koivi, Lc0, Marvin, Minic, Nemori, Orion, Pedone, Win

Post by Angle »

Guenther wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:36 pm Games would be more interesting as pgn with eval/depth+time as usual (even for very fast tc), also for finding out bugs
in either the engines or the tournament setup. Just zip/7z the files.

I wonder why you first had to set Marvin to MPV=3, because it would not work normally at your side and now it suddenly works
with MPV=1 as it should?
Also if there are time losses by engine bugs they should count, or do you already think it was not due to the engine?

BTW, why do so much engine say 'resign' in your game file, uci engines usually cannot resign at all?
From now on, I will create pgn files with all the details. I use this very short format for myself to make pgn's more compact since I am not involved in logging/debuging issues.

Surprisingly, Marvin's problem with depth arises only if MPV = 1 or 2 and LogLevel = 0 or 1. It runs normaly if LogLevel = 2. I discovered it after contacting to Martin on this issue. However, he shared a new dev version with me today and I am going to test it now.

I am not so sure about counting time losses. For Koivisto they come as exceptions and only in very long games (over 100 moves).

Engines in the tourney resign not by themselves but by the common Arena Tournament Rule: if the engine's evaluation is below -7 for three moves in a row.
Incredibly fast systems miscount incredibly fast.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Winter is Coming (Amoeba, Beef, Combusk, Demoli, Fab, Halogen, Koivi, Lc0, Marvin, Minic, Nemori, Orion, Pedone, Win

Post by Guenther »

Angle wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm
Engines in the tourney resign not by themselves but by the common Arena Tournament Rule: if the engine's evaluation is below -7 for three moves in a row.
I know that the GUI takes over, but the game termination info is not White/Black resigns, but sth like Arena adjudication in this case.

BTW IMHO it would be better if you play both games per match per round with the same opening (Black + White), currently
it is randomly selected.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Guenther wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:36 pm Games would be more interesting as pgn with eval/depth+time as usual (even for very fast tc), also for finding out bugs
in either the engines or the tournament setup. Just zip/7z the files.

I wonder why you first had to set Marvin to MPV=3, because it would not work normally at your side and now it suddenly works
with MPV=1 as it should?
Also if there are time losses by engine bugs they should count, or do you already think it was not due to the engine?

BTW, why do so much engine say 'resign' in your game file, uci engines usually cannot resign at all?
From now on, I will create pgn files with all the details. I use this very short format for myself to make pgn's more compact since I am not involved in logging/debuging issues.

Only eval/depth+time, please by no means with complete mainline variations :)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Angle

Post by Angle »

Guenther wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:44 pm
I know that the GUI takes over, but the game termination info is not White/Black resigns, but sth like Arena adjudication in this case.

BTW IMHO it would be better if you play both games per match per round with the same opening (Black + White), currently
it is randomly selected.
My Arena 3.5.1 writes ''White/Black resigns'' in pgn in this case.

Let this toutmey run as it is. In the future I will think about the opening selection method.
Angle

Post by Angle »

Guenther wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm Only eval/depth+time, please by no means with complete mainline variations :)
O.K.
Angle

Post by Angle »

Now the live broadcast of the tourney is available on my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYboDn67xA

Standings after the 1-st Cycle (23 rounds):

A pgn with all played games is here (from round 17 it contains score/depth/time info):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/16femnx5 ... g.zip/file
Angle

Post by Angle »

Live broadcast on my youtube channel is available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYboDn67xA

Standings after Round 30:

Angle

Post by Angle »

I have to stop the Tournament and broadcasting for a few hours. I will present standings after Round 42 and a new link to the live stream a bit later.
Angle

Post by Angle »

Koivisto continues to have problems: it lost two more games on time and one by illegal move. All that games were replayed again.

A new link to the live broadcast is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu-usDtn3I

Standings after Round 42:

Koivisto
Full name: Kim Kahre

Post by Koivisto »

Angle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm Koivisto continues to have problems: it lost two more games on time and one by illegal move. All that games were replayed again.

A new link to the live broadcast is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu-usDtn3I

Standings after Round 42:

Thanks, we are trying to fix those issues, will definetly be fixed in our next release.