For those who run tournaments/matches

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carlos777

For those who run tournaments/matches

Post by Carlos777 »

Hi guys,

I read some time ago that using EGTB (saved on the hard disk) frequently, somehow damage the HDD, because the engines check them constantly during the game, I am not sure if this is true.
Where do you install your Syzygy/Nalimov/GTB/EGBB?

BTW, I only use 5-men EGTB.

Regards,
Carlos
Graham Banks

Re: For those who run tournaments/matches

Post by Graham Banks »

Carlos777 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 am Hi guys,

I read some time ago that using EGTB (saved on the hard disk) frequently, somehow damage the HDD, because the engines check them constantly during the game, I am not sure if this is true.
Where do you install your Syzygy/Nalimov/GTB/EGBB?

BTW, I only use 5-men EGTB.

Regards,
Carlos
I use a separate usb stick for each tourney that I run.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Do you save the engines and the endgame TB in this USB stick?
Graham Banks wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 am I use a separate usb stick for each tourney that I run.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

An SSD will not be damaged by lots of read activity, there are no moving parts. The lower capacity ones are quite cheap these days.
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

Syzygy author mentioned several times that the file cache of operating system will jump in once a tb file is read. So having a good amount of RAM will help to avoid accessing the disk too much.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

I have 8GB of RAM, less than 50% is used according to task manager. Is it enough?
RubiChess wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm Syzygy author mentioned several times that the file cache of operating system will jump in once a tb file is read. So having a good amount of RAM will help to avoid accessing the disk too much.
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

Carlos777 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm I have 8GB of RAM, less than 50% is used according to task manager. Is it enough?
RubiChess wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm Syzygy author mentioned several times that the file cache of operating system will jump in once a tb file is read. So having a good amount of RAM will help to avoid accessing the disk too much.
There is no black and white. Depends on how much memory will be used for engines hash memory during play. Windows resource monitor shows "standby" memory (dark blue) in the memory tab. That's what is used for syzygy access.And unused memory is light blue.

But on a second think and checking that the 5-men tb is only ~1GB I would say. This IS white. So yes!
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Thank you!
RubiChess wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:22 pm
Carlos777 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm I have 8GB of RAM, less than 50% is used according to task manager. Is it enough?
There is no black and white. Depends on how much memory will be used for engines hash memory during play. Windows resource monitor shows "standby" memory (dark blue) in the memory tab. That's what is used for syzygy access.And unused memory is light blue.

But on a second think and checking that the 5-men tb is only ~1GB I would say. This IS white. So yes!