Today is the day.

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Today is the day.

Post by mwyoung »

After numerous test. Today is the day with a 99.7% game test confidence. I can say Stockfish is no longer the strongest chess engine playing on my current hardware. 2950x vs 2080 ti. Lc0 NN 41348 has surpassed the mighty Stockfish.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
pilgrimdan

Re: Today is the day.

Post by pilgrimdan »

the emergence is complete … block box wins over knowledge …
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

pilgrimdan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:05 am the emergence is complete … block box wins over knowledge …
I see it as unbiased knowledge wins over biased knowledge.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

mwyoung wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 am
pilgrimdan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:05 am the emergence is complete … block box wins over knowledge …
I see it as 2000 cores wins over 16. But having said that, I must admit that I am happy to see Lc0 surpass Stockfish, because Lc0 does play more human style chess than Stockfish, and because when both are in MultiPV mode (say MVP=5), Lc0 (with good GPU) is hundreds of Elo stronger than Stockfish. I have also found that Lc0 is a much tougher opponent for me in a handicap game, provided that the network and handicap choices show more than a 2% win prob. for Lc0. Lc0 plays very poorly when the win prob. is outside the range 2% to 98%, but that's not a fatal problem for most users and will probably be remedied in the near future.
Komodo rules!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

lkaufman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:58 pm
mwyoung wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 am
I see it as 2000 cores wins over 16. But having said that, I must admit that I am happy to see Lc0 surpass Stockfish, because Lc0 does play more human style chess than Stockfish, and because when both are in MultiPV mode (say MVP=5), Lc0 (with good GPU) is hundreds of Elo stronger than Stockfish. I have also found that Lc0 is a much tougher opponent for me in a handicap game, provided that the network and handicap choices show more than a 2% win prob. for Lc0. Lc0 plays very poorly when the win prob. is outside the range 2% to 98%, but that's not a fatal problem for most users and will probably be remedied in the near future.
I am lucky that the cores an not exactly the same. I would have to build a small nuclear reactor to power 2000 AMD cores.