MVL vs. Komodo handicap match

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How many points will Komodo MCTS score in six game rapid handicap match with MVL?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 am

One point or less.
No votes
One and a half points.
No votes
Two points.
No votes
Two and a half points.
No votes
Three points.
No votes
Three and a half points.
No votes
Four points.
No votes
Four and a half points.
100%
Five points or more.
No votes

Total votes: 1

JJJ

Re: MVL vs. Komodo handicap match

Post by JJJ »

todd wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:20 pm
JJJ wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 am I agree. How do you feel about this match Larry ? Will you propose again the handicap Komodo lost ? Or will you try a new one ?
I m still interested to see a GM against Komodo at 1 + 1 against a big handicap. Maybe Komodo would even win at queen handicap at bullet ? :) Could be extra match.

With all my respect,

Jean-Baptiste.
I'm only an NM and I play queen odds at 1 minute with no increment against SF/K/H for a good game (I lose most games at 30 seconds and generally win at 2 minutes or with any sort of increment). A queen is really a lot, especially if you've practiced playing queen odds a bit (it gets easier with practice).
So it's still hard for you to win at 1 min no increment at queen odds. that's mean a top GM would win easy.

Anyway, seems better to see a match at 1 min + 1 :)
lkaufman

Re: MVL vs. Komodo handicap match

Post by lkaufman »

JJJ wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm
todd wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:20 pm
JJJ wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 am I agree. How do you feel about this match Larry ? Will you propose again the handicap Komodo lost ? Or will you try a new one ?
I m still interested to see a GM against Komodo at 1 + 1 against a big handicap. Maybe Komodo would even win at queen handicap at bullet ? :) Could be extra match.

With all my respect,

Jean-Baptiste.
I'm only an NM and I play queen odds at 1 minute with no increment against SF/K/H for a good game (I lose most games at 30 seconds and generally win at 2 minutes or with any sort of increment). A queen is really a lot, especially if you've practiced playing queen odds a bit (it gets easier with practice).
So it's still hard for you to win at 1 min no increment at queen odds. that's mean a top GM would win easy.

Anyway, seems better to see a match at 1 min + 1 :)
Since it takes at least a good part of a second for a human to see the opponent's move and enter his own, I think it makes no sense to play human vs. computer without at least one second increment. Actually, I would prefer the human gets one extra second to make thinking time about equal, but chess.com isn't set up for time handicaps now. Since they like to have GM blitz matches at 5 + 1, then 3 + 1, then 1 + 1, perhaps we'll try this with komodo vs. a top ten player, with different handicaps for each tc. Probably knight odds for 1 + 1, something less for the other two. Suggestions welcome.
Komodo rules!