366 beats Fire 7.1

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

epanek

366 beats Fire 7.1

Post by epanek »

https://lichess.org/x2rSljtC

Leela on 1060 GTX 6 GB RAM

Fire 1 Core @ 4 GHZ 25GB RAM and 6 P Sys
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: 366 beats Fire 7.1

Post by AndrewGrant »

Just going to again remind you that most, if not all engines but stockfish, WILL not use 25GB of hash, and will only use the next lowest power of 2 (16GB). I get the sense that you read no responses on your postings. Please don't do that.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Gary Internet

Post by Gary Internet »

What was the time control in this game? Were other games played? Unless you're using a very long time control, I imagine you made these two engines play more than one game right? You can't just have them play on game at something like 300+5 and leave it at that.
epanek

Post by epanek »

You are both correct. I will provide more details and expand on the match lengths. I was a little excited.

Andy - Which version of Ethereal 10 should I use? I have a Haswell 5960X.

Ed
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Please to not play games with Ethereal in this setup.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
epanek

Post by epanek »

You are too funny! HA...Subtle sarcasm is the best.

Regards,

Ed
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Time Control: Based on the Lichess link it looks like 15'+5''. Put that in the threads.

# of Games: Again, put this in the threads

Hash Settings: 25GB is simply wrong. Most if not all engines will then use 16GB. Furthermore, 16GB is an ABSURD amount of hash for a 15minute ame running on one core. In CCRLs 40/4 testing they use 256MB for 4 minute games (which they scale closer to 2.5 minutes for your CPU). Extending that, they would use ~2GB at your time control. Using 16GB is simply slowing down the engines -- not improving their play. This amount of hash changes when you throw more threads at the non-Leela engine (see later)

Pondering: In the last post I read you had set up pondering for both Ethereal and Leela, at a time when neither Leela or Ethereal supported pondering. Whatever GUI you are using should be telling you what options each engine supports? Please read that. Also, no one cares about Pondering results AFAIK.

Opening book: I assume you are using one? If not you should be. There are a handful of books out there which everyone is okay with. As long as you play with repeated openings (Leela plays the opening as both white and black) no one should complain.

Hardware: The most important one -- your setup is absolutely absurd. You have what looks to be a ~350$ GPU, and a ~900$ CPU (you bought an overpriced CPU), but you are only giving 1 of the 16 threads to the non-Leela engine, which is 56.25$ of the 900$. You will never be able to make everyone happy when comparing CPU to GPU, but you should at least try. The most meaningful results are from playing with 8 or 16 threads for the non-Leela engine. 16 is preferred, but if you have other things running that may be a mistake.

Power usage: As an extension to the above, both the CPU and GPU use around 130W. For those who want to find comparison in power draw, you have a nearly equal GPU and CPU. So again, giving all threads to the non-Leela engine would be best.

Here are the Ethereal binaries (if you still think anything of me) https://github.com/AndyGrant/Ethereal/releases

I believe haswell supports BMI2/PEXT, so you should use the x86-pext compile. Typically (for all engines / cpus, with some caveats for AMD Ryzen) PEXT/BMI2 (same thing) will be your fastest binaries. Next up you have popcnt/see3 (same thing-ish). Finally, nopopcnt.