The TCEC...

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Carotino wrote:Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
I don't mean to be rude here but frankly speaking I've never liked this so called TCEC tournament from the first edition....

As for the above posted opening line I wanted to comment but I don't have the slightest intention to insult the one who put it in action....
Dr.D

P.S I predict that this is the beginning of the end for the TCEC as a major event....it's dying slowly and the the little left of the faithful followers are reducing everyday....

Just read the tons of negative impressions above in this thread and in other threads as well....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Carotino
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:40 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Carotino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 pm

I admit that I overdid it a bit ', in my comment, I apologize for this, but the fact remains that this tournament was a big disappointment.

:cry:
Roberto

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Carotino wrote:I admit that I overdid it a bit ', in my comment, I apologize for this, but the fact remains that this tournament was a big disappointment.

:cry:
Were're expressing opinions here,we're not attacking or insulting anyone....

CEGT,CCRL & IPON they get criticized every now and then....

We're different people with different perception,different points of view and that what makes the world keeps on going....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33584
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Graham Banks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 pm

My opinion is that computer chess enthusiasts should be grateful for TCEC.
Although the time control is too slow for my personal liking, we are fortunate to have the option of watching high quality chess on many cores at a long time control.
The only aspect of TCEC that I don't like is the commercial aspect of it. I used to find the repeated reminders about making donations distasteful.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

stavros
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

Re: The TCEC...

Post by stavros » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:06 am

another negative:almost 0% chance for blacks to win,what kind of tourney is?
too high eval openings for whites to avoid many draws ok but....

Norm Pollock
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Norm Pollock » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:10 am

I wonder if tcec games are any more helpful to the developers, with regard to discovering weaknesses of their engines, than games in other competitions. In tcec, if an engine makes a weak move, it cannot be blamed on lack of enough time.

Uri Blass
Posts: 8697
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Uri Blass » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:16 am

Carotino wrote:Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
Stockfish did not lose playing black with the same opening against Houdini.

I guess that the target of the openings is to help the stronger program to win.
With balanced opening there is a danger that we get 100 draws(and even if it is only 95 draws then it will be a disappointment for the spectators) so using unbalanced position may be the only way to see which engine is stronger because engines are almost unbeatable in balanced opening and I guess in some years we are going to have 100% draws in long time control games between top engines unless you choose opening like that opening when it is not clear if white win or if it is a draw.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:16 am

Graham Banks wrote:My opinion is that computer chess enthusiasts should be grateful for TCEC.
Although the time control is too slow for my personal liking, we are fortunate to have the option of watching high quality chess on many cores at a long time control.
The only aspect of TCEC that I don't like is the commercial aspect of it. I used to find the repeated reminders about making donations distasteful.
Lately I am too busy with work and family that I didn't even notice the commercials....

Well,I hold a neutral position here....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 am

stavros wrote:another negative:almost 0% chance for blacks to win,what kind of tourney is?
too high eval openings for whites to avoid many draws ok but....
in the future all you will see will be:

1 0
1 0
1 0
1 0
...
...

Modern Times
Posts: 2459
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Modern Times » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 am

Time control is way too long for me to even think about watching any games. Increasing the number of cores was a good opportunity to shorten the time control in my opinion. However you can look at the games afterwards if that is an issue I suppose.

What they have done with TCEC is incredibly impressive though, all credit to those involved.
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

Post Reply