The TCEC...

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Carotino wrote:Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
I don't mean to be rude here but frankly speaking I've never liked this so called TCEC tournament from the first edition....

As for the above posted opening line I wanted to comment but I don't have the slightest intention to insult the one who put it in action....
Dr.D

P.S I predict that this is the beginning of the end for the TCEC as a major event....it's dying slowly and the the little left of the faithful followers are reducing everyday....

Just read the tons of negative impressions above in this thread and in other threads as well....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

I admit that I overdid it a bit ', in my comment, I apologize for this, but the fact remains that this tournament was a big disappointment.

:cry:
Roberto
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Carotino wrote:I admit that I overdid it a bit ', in my comment, I apologize for this, but the fact remains that this tournament was a big disappointment.

:cry:
Were're expressing opinions here,we're not attacking or insulting anyone....

CEGT,CCRL & IPON they get criticized every now and then....

We're different people with different perception,different points of view and that what makes the world keeps on going....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

My opinion is that computer chess enthusiasts should be grateful for TCEC.
Although the time control is too slow for my personal liking, we are fortunate to have the option of watching high quality chess on many cores at a long time control.
The only aspect of TCEC that I don't like is the commercial aspect of it. I used to find the repeated reminders about making donations distasteful.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
stavros

Post by stavros »

another negative:almost 0% chance for blacks to win,what kind of tourney is?
too high eval openings for whites to avoid many draws ok but....
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

I wonder if tcec games are any more helpful to the developers, with regard to discovering weaknesses of their engines, than games in other competitions. In tcec, if an engine makes a weak move, it cannot be blamed on lack of enough time.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Carotino wrote:Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
Stockfish did not lose playing black with the same opening against Houdini.

I guess that the target of the openings is to help the stronger program to win.
With balanced opening there is a danger that we get 100 draws(and even if it is only 95 draws then it will be a disappointment for the spectators) so using unbalanced position may be the only way to see which engine is stronger because engines are almost unbeatable in balanced opening and I guess in some years we are going to have 100% draws in long time control games between top engines unless you choose opening like that opening when it is not clear if white win or if it is a draw.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:My opinion is that computer chess enthusiasts should be grateful for TCEC.
Although the time control is too slow for my personal liking, we are fortunate to have the option of watching high quality chess on many cores at a long time control.
The only aspect of TCEC that I don't like is the commercial aspect of it. I used to find the repeated reminders about making donations distasteful.
Lately I am too busy with work and family that I didn't even notice the commercials....

Well,I hold a neutral position here....
Dr.D
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

stavros wrote:another negative:almost 0% chance for blacks to win,what kind of tourney is?
too high eval openings for whites to avoid many draws ok but....
in the future all you will see will be:

1 0
1 0
1 0
1 0
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Time control is way too long for me to even think about watching any games. Increasing the number of cores was a good opportunity to shorten the time control in my opinion. However you can look at the games afterwards if that is an issue I suppose.

What they have done with TCEC is incredibly impressive though, all credit to those involved.