Moving threads II

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

Moving threads II

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Hi All,

I've been asked what my position is on the moving threads issue. My general sentiment is spelled out here. To that I would add that I'm not much on moving threads just to try and keep things in the correct little box. Nor is Fernando. Unless the OP is clearly confused about where things belong I assume he put the post where he put it because he thought that was the best place for it. His reason is usually good enough for me. So don't expect to see much moved during our brief tenure.

Of course what Fernando and I do during our short watch will have no effect on the price of tea in China. If the issue is of concern to you, you need to find a candidate whose views are satisfactory to you.

There are a lot of posts that fall into a grey area, maybe belong here, maybe best there. Sam made a suggestion that I think has merit - if you move a post that might reasonably reside in either location then you can leave a shadow topic in the forum it was moved from. Clicking the shadow topic takes you directly to the post in the forum it was moved to.

I've never used this feature so I'm making this post a guinea pig. I'll put it in General and then move it to Tournaments and Matches. Let me now what you think.

Best
Dan H.
Dan Honeycutt

Re: Moving threads II

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Okay, it's posted and moved with the shadow topic. The first thing I notice is that when you leave the post you go to the "to" forum, not the "from" forum where you started. That means an extra click or two to get back to where you were. That will probably annoy some but it seems to me a small price compared to possibly missing information that is of interest to you.

Best
Dan H.
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

Posting to see what happens when people post (does it bump up in both forums?).

Result: It pushes to the top of the new location, but in the old forum, it retains the position of the original post, so it is dropping down in the list there.

So, better than moving, but only visible in the original forum for as long as a locked thread would have been.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Robert Pope wrote:Posting to see what happens when people post (does it bump up in both forums?).

Result: It pushes to the top of the new location, but in the old forum, it retains the position of the original post, so it is dropping down in the list there.

So, better than moving, but only visible in the original forum for as long as a locked thread would have been.
👍👍nice feature
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Robert Pope wrote:Posting to see what happens when people post (does it bump up in both forums?).

Yeah, it would be better if both bumped so both live a normal life. I thought maybe sticky the one in the "from" forum but I don't think you can - at least I couldn't find a way to do that.

So I agree with you, better than moving but not a panacea.

Best
Dan H.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:Okay, it's posted and moved with the shadow topic. The first thing I notice is that when you leave the post you go to the "to" forum, not the "from" forum where you started. That means an extra click or two to get back to where you were. That will probably annoy some but it seems to me a small price compared to possibly missing information that is of interest to you.
I am not sure what you are referring to here. I always 'leave' threads by using the browser 'back' button, and that always brings me to the page from which I entered the thread. Are you navigating in another way?

A second thing: now that this nice forum feature seems to work, could you apply it to the WCRCC and IGT threads that are now in the Tournament section, to expose them here to the audience they are targeting here? Or does that interfere with them being sticky? I only noticed the IGT thread today, because of the slim chance that Luca happened to be the latest poster in the Tournaments section, so that his name appeared on the index page, and I recognized it.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

hgm wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:Okay, it's posted and moved with the shadow topic. The first thing I notice is that when you leave the post you go to the "to" forum, not the "from" forum where you started. That means an extra click or two to get back to where you were. That will probably annoy some but it seems to me a small price compared to possibly missing information that is of interest to you.
I am not sure what you are referring to here. I always 'leave' threads by using the browser 'back' button, and that always brings me to the page from which I entered the thread. Are you navigating in another way?
I use the links at the top and bottom of each page. For no logical reason I feel like I am then going forward and making progress rather than backward and standing still.
hgm wrote:A second thing: now that this nice forum feature seems to work, could you apply it to the WCRCC and IGT threads that are now in the Tournament section, to expose them here to the audience they are targeting here? Or does that interfere with them being sticky? I only noticed the IGT thread today, because of the slim chance that Luca happened to be the latest poster in the Tournaments section, so that his name appeared on the index page, and I recognized it.
To create a shadow I think will require two moves. As I've noted I'm not big on moving things so I'm not willing to do that in general but I'll try it here under the guise of experimentation. We'll see what happens to the sticky.

Best
Dan H.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:To create a shadow I think will require two moves. As I've noted I'm not big on moving things so I'm not willing to do that in general but I'll try it here under the guise of experimentation. We'll see what happens to the sticky.
Seems to have worked. I selected your two posts, moved them without shadow then moved them back with shadow. The stickies followed, I didn't do anything to them though it looks like the shadows got sorted in unsticky order.

Another thing I notice about the shadows is the icon and view counts don't update so you don't know if any new posts have been added. They aren't perfect but they do seem to provide a pretty good solution for what seemed to be the biggest concern about moving something to T & M, that people who don't frequent that forum could miss something of interest. On those rare occasions when I do move something I'll leave a shadow if it seems to provide some benefit.

Best
Dan H.