Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.

Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Komodo
27
52%
Stockfish
25
48%
 
Total votes: 52

FriedmannC
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: SUCEAVA, ROMANIA

Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by FriedmannC » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:30 am

Who do you think will win the great final of this amazing tournament?

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10806
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by Laskos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:49 pm

FriedmannC wrote:Who do you think will win the great final of this amazing tournament?
Although until recently I thought Komodo is the favorite, with the latest fast SF compile sent to Martin I get such a decisive result in direct match at 5'+3'', that I am now of the opinion that SF is the favorite. K 9.2 is with Contempt=0.

120 games at 5 min + 3 secs one core ponder off

SF : K

+41 -18 =61
71.5:48.5
67 +/- 44 ELO points

That is even more skewed than what Ingo gets for IPON at 5+3. Ingo also got that SF performs worse against weaker engines, but it's irrelevant for Superfinal. For Komodo to overcome this huge, larger than 2:1 Win:Loss handicap, it would need some of the following:

1/ K of the Superfinal is much stronger than K 9.2
2/ SF scales really poorly compared to Komodo to longer TC
3/ Lazy_SMP on SF performs really bad on 24 threads
4/ SF loses many games on time

All in all, I voted for Stockfish.

stavros
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by stavros » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Laskos wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:Who do you think will win the great final of this amazing tournament?
Although until recently I thought Komodo is the favorite, with the latest fast SF compile sent to Martin I get such a decisive result in direct match at 5'+3'', that I am now of the opinion that SF is the favorite. K 9.2 is with Contempt=0.

120 games at 5 min + 3 secs one core ponder off

SF : K

+41 -18 =61
71.5:48.5
67 +/- 44 ELO points

That is even more skewed than what Ingo gets for IPON at 5+3. Ingo also got that SF performs worse against weaker engines, but it's irrelevant for Superfinal. For Komodo to overcome this huge, larger than 2:1 Win:Loss handicap, it would need some of the following:

1/ K of the Superfinal is much stronger than K 9.2
2/ SF scales really poorly compared to Komodo to longer TC
3/ Lazy_SMP on SF performs really bad on 24 threads
4/ SF loses many games on time

All in all, I voted for Stockfish.
i dont expect sf to win even if its better than komodo
the reasons ? think smart :)
my 100% bet to komodo

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10806
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by Laskos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:43 pm

stavros wrote:
Laskos wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:Who do you think will win the great final of this amazing tournament?
Although until recently I thought Komodo is the favorite, with the latest fast SF compile sent to Martin I get such a decisive result in direct match at 5'+3'', that I am now of the opinion that SF is the favorite. K 9.2 is with Contempt=0.

120 games at 5 min + 3 secs one core ponder off

SF : K

+41 -18 =61
71.5:48.5
67 +/- 44 ELO points

That is even more skewed than what Ingo gets for IPON at 5+3. Ingo also got that SF performs worse against weaker engines, but it's irrelevant for Superfinal. For Komodo to overcome this huge, larger than 2:1 Win:Loss handicap, it would need some of the following:

1/ K of the Superfinal is much stronger than K 9.2
2/ SF scales really poorly compared to Komodo to longer TC
3/ Lazy_SMP on SF performs really bad on 24 threads
4/ SF loses many games on time

All in all, I voted for Stockfish.
i dont expect sf to win even if its better than komodo
the reasons ? think smart :)
my 100% bet to komodo
I tried to be smart and saw immediately that Mark and Larry will bribe Martin.

Henk
Posts: 6550
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by Henk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:00 pm

I only take this serious if a vote means a bet of 100 euro. Of course money will equally be divided between all the winners and bank gets 10%.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10806
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by Laskos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:26 pm

After 300 games, it seems previously I got a bit extreme result, now it's tamer:

300 games 5 min + 3 secs SF:K one core ponder off
+88 -52 =160
168:132
42 +/- 27 ELO points

It would indicate a close Superfinal, as Komodo probably does scale better to very long time control.

FriedmannC
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: SUCEAVA, ROMANIA

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by FriedmannC » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:59 am

With that ,,Hulk'' hardware, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an equal match after 100 games, with very few decisive games.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10806
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by Laskos » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:49 pm

FriedmannC wrote:With that ,,Hulk'' hardware, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an equal match after 100 games, with very few decisive games.
Yes, the possibility of equal match is not negligible. For example if the expected score is +9 -7 =84 for one engine, then there is, according to binomial distribution, 20% to get exactly the expected score +9 -7, and 17% to get an equal match +8 -8.

Meanwhile I left overnight SF against K 9.2 for 100 games at 15 mins + 9 secs, one core ponder off, and the result is:

+22 -13 =65 for Stockfish. I expect a very close Superfinal, as Komodo is probably scaling better.

lkaufman
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by lkaufman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

I ran off 4500 games on 1 thread at 2' + 1" between the two versions submitted for the final. My result is minus 16 elo for Komodo. Now that SF has lazy smp, I don't think we can count on better scaling with more cores, although I hope Komodo still retains better scaling with more time. So I expect a very close match, with the result probably too close to be meaningful.
Komodo rules!

JJJ
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Who will win the TCEC Season 8 final?

Post by JJJ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:26 pm

How strong is the Komodo who will play the final Larry plz ?

Post Reply