ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
mvk
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by mvk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 am

PaulieD wrote:If Stockfish 6 will not be present the "Championships" will be meaningless.
Komodo might show up to, to complete the work of the sekretariat. If that happens the organisation should play the GUNDA-1 card with SF6 and get some kind of competition.
It is not far from my house, yet I will not enter or watch. Personally I favor the TCEC format to decide on world championship.
[Account deleted]

User avatar
velmarin
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by velmarin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 am

Michel wrote: Sorry you forgot Ippolit.

Gnuchess, open source 1990.
Still interesting code, compiles even perfect. :D

Image

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by mcostalba » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Ferdy wrote: Read below so you may know your elders and the organization that are responsible for our hobby.
They are responsible for nothing, _we_ are responsible of our hobby.

You cannot live in a (distant) past, you have to live the present and aim toward the future.

Calling the winner of this tournament "world champion" has been a blatant and conscious lie for any and all of the last years. Not accepting this fact stops any possibility of furthering discussion, because it is like to state that earth is flat and does not spin. Who asserts this (few days ago there was some cleric from saudi that stated this on youtube!) cannot be discussed with: if I go to discuss with the cleric that earth is not flat I would be punished, whipped and put in jail...and of course he will continue to state that earth is flat.

...there are many clerics here on talkchess,and ICGA is their temple, so sorry but no need to looking for whipping...

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by mcostalba » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 pm

mvk wrote:
PaulieD wrote:If Stockfish 6 will not be present the "Championships" will be meaningless.
Komodo might show up to, to complete the work of the sekretariat. If that happens the organisation should play the GUNDA-1 card with SF6 and get some kind of competition.
It is not far from my house, yet I will not enter or watch. Personally I favor the TCEC format to decide on world championship.
After they have pathetically changed the link of their site http://komodochess.com/ to point to the only rating list in which Komodo is still #1 (because SF 6 still has not been tested there!) I expect anything out of them, even that Komodo participates icga and gives up TCEC (like Hiarcs did).

I have respect for Komodo people, but I starting to see they are steering to desperate (and, sorry to say, quite pity) actions. They are commercial, they need to get money out of this Komodo thing, I understand this, nevertheless....

PaulieD
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by PaulieD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:35 pm

I hope that CEGT starts testing SF6 for that 40/120 list soon.
Better yet, the latest dev version with the SMP improvements.

User avatar
lucasart
Posts: 3037
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am
Full name: lucasart
Contact:

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by lucasart » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:45 pm

mcostalba wrote:
mvk wrote:
PaulieD wrote:If Stockfish 6 will not be present the "Championships" will be meaningless.
Komodo might show up to, to complete the work of the sekretariat. If that happens the organisation should play the GUNDA-1 card with SF6 and get some kind of competition.
It is not far from my house, yet I will not enter or watch. Personally I favor the TCEC format to decide on world championship.
After they have pathetically changed the link of their site http://komodochess.com/ to point to the only rating list in which Komodo is still #1 (because SF 6 still has not been tested there!) I expect anything out of them, even that Komodo participates icga and gives up TCEC (like Hiarcs did).

I have respect for Komodo people, but I starting to see they are steering to desperate (and, sorry to say, quite pity) actions. They are commercial, they need to get money out of this Komodo thing, I understand this, nevertheless....
SF is being tested by CEGT 40/120 now:
http://cegt.forumieren.com/t290-testing ... sh-6-0-x64

And the myth that Komodo beats SF at super LTC will be debunked. I wonder what new rating list they will find after that, to change the link on their website :lol:
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.

Ferdy
Posts: 4072
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Philippines

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by Ferdy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:23 pm

mcostalba wrote:
Ferdy wrote: Read below so you may know your elders and the organization that are responsible for our hobby.
They are responsible for nothing,
I doubt it.
mcostalba wrote: _we_ are responsible of our hobby.
Correct including ICGA.
mcostalba wrote: You cannot live in a (distant) past, you have to live the present and aim toward the future.
You too, but the past will give us an idea on how to face the future.
mcostalba wrote: Calling the winner of this tournament "world champion" has been a blatant and conscious lie for any and all of the last years.
You sure about that :).
mcostalba wrote:Not accepting this fact stops any possibility of furthering discussion,
That's your problem.

APassionForCriminalJustic
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

mcostalba wrote:
mvk wrote:
PaulieD wrote:If Stockfish 6 will not be present the "Championships" will be meaningless.
Komodo might show up to, to complete the work of the sekretariat. If that happens the organisation should play the GUNDA-1 card with SF6 and get some kind of competition.
It is not far from my house, yet I will not enter or watch. Personally I favor the TCEC format to decide on world championship.
After they have pathetically changed the link of their site http://komodochess.com/ to point to the only rating list in which Komodo is still #1 (because SF 6 still has not been tested there!) I expect anything out of them, even that Komodo participates icga and gives up TCEC (like Hiarcs did).

I have respect for Komodo people, but I starting to see they are steering to desperate (and, sorry to say, quite pity) actions. They are commercial, they need to get money out of this Komodo thing, I understand this, nevertheless....
You guys are all so arrogant. Why is there so much hate here towards the Komodo team? I can understand it when it comes to the ICGA - but why Komodo? And why on earth would Mark and Larry walk away from a tournament in which they have had such great success? Seriously, do you even read what you write? In fact, they are the courageous ones who have the actual guts to battle your giant-community engine. This is evidently contrary to what Houdart did; he walked away. You all should be showing some respect for these two men who BEAT you in the last TCEC tournament.

Thank god for Komodo. There is nothing worse than a one-man engine or simply one engine effectively dominating the computer-chess world. We need the competition from as many authors as possible.

CEGT tests are run on a rather weak four-core machine. Beat Komodo at 16+ cores at 120 minute time control and then you can claim the number one spot at this super-long time control. Better yet, man up and win the next TCEC.
Last edited by APassionForCriminalJustic on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isaac
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by Isaac » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm

I agree that calling Komodo 8 the #1 chess program in the world when Stockfish 6 is leading in every single rating list where both K8 and SF6 are included, is a deceptive advertising and an insult to the Stockfish's programmers.
I also agree that the official world championship is nothing but a bad joke, at least nowadays.

APassionForCriminalJustic
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Isaac wrote:I agree that calling Komodo 8 the #1 chess program in the world when Stockfish 6 is leading in every single rating list where both K8 and SF6 are included, is a deceptive advertising and an insult to the Stockfish's programmers.
I also agree that the official world championship is nothing but a bad joke, at least nowadays.
Do you not think that the Komodo team is being insulted here? There is no deceptive advertising. People can read what each engines ratings are and see their placement. This is not rocket science. Does "Two-time Winner of the TCEC tournament!" sound deceptive to you?

Post Reply