ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PaulieD

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by PaulieD »

I know you understand my very valid point.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

PaulieD wrote:I know you understand my very valid point.
Perhaps the alleged number one is the people's champ :).
PaulieD

Post by PaulieD »

Ferdy wrote:
Maybe....the...statistical champ. :lol:

Just like what ruined boxing...to many federations, too many champs.
It all waters down the pride and distinction of being the TRUE undisputed champ.
But I must keep in mind that in computer chess engine competition there is no such thing as "undisputed" anything :lol: :lol:
BBauer

Post by BBauer »

And gnuchess.
regards
Bernhard
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

PaulieD wrote:
Ferdy wrote:
Maybe....the...statistical champ. :lol:

Just like what ruined boxing...to many federations, too many champs.
It all waters down the pride and distinction of being the TRUE undisputed champ.
But I must keep in mind that in computer chess engine competition there is no such thing as "undisputed" anything :lol: :lol:
Yes Michel has stated there is ICGA world champ, and TCEC world champ :).
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:........Tests running on a 4770 four-core piece of garbage won't debunk anything.
Adam - you accused others of making arrogant comments. This one falls into the same category.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Ferdy wrote:......ICGA is not an ordinary organization.
That became readily apparently a while ago. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Isaac wrote:I agree that calling Komodo 8 the #1 chess program in the world when Stockfish 6 is leading in every single rating list where both K8 and SF6 are included, is a deceptive advertising and an insult to the Stockfish's programmers.
I also agree that the official world championship is nothing but a bad joke, at least nowadays.
I am confused. We try to maintain the komodochess.com website with the most current information. If we drop from first place on various lists, we edit the site the reflect the current results. Sometime this takes a day or two depending on when I and the webmaster has times.

As of the ICGA events and TCEC for that matter, they are long time control events. Few rating lists run very long games, and even fewer with more than 4 cores. Both Larry and I have stated many times other programs can beat Komodo at very fast time controls. But, Komodo seems to do very well at the long time controls and with more cores.

As for who is best in the world, that will depend on time controls, and the machine. We have not released a new version of Komodo since last summer. I do not see how anyone can claim who is best in the world without access to the development versions of Komodo. I do not even know myself, and I have access to Komodo! But if you look at recent TCEC events, we won two out of the last 3.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Isaac wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Isaac wrote:I agree that calling Komodo 8 the #1 chess program in the world when Stockfish 6 is leading in every single rating list where both K8 and SF6 are included, is a deceptive advertising and an insult to the Stockfish's programmers.
I also agree that the official world championship is nothing but a bad joke, at least nowadays.
Do you not think that the Komodo team is being insulted here? There is no deceptive advertising. People can read what each engines ratings are and see their placement. This is not rocket science. Does "Two-time Winner of the TCEC tournament!" sound deceptive to you?
I do not think that the Komodo team is being insulted at all. Yes there is deceptive advertising, claiming being number 1 and linking to a rating list where SF6 is absent and knowing that SF6 took the number 1 spot from Komodo in all the rating lists where they are both ranked is dishonest to say the least.
People who click the link given in the Komodo website cannot see that SF6 took the lead everywhere it is present, and ahead of Komodo 8. So I do not agree with you on that point either.
Komodo 8 has been only once the TCEC champion and as Martin said, the TCEC is not there to determine which engine is the strongest, for this purpose you have the rating lists. TCEC is just for entertainment.

Edit: @Miguel I agree. If they claim to be #1 in the last TCEC season they are right and should precise they're talking about the TCEC and not elo rating. Because as it is now, it looks like Komodo 8 is the #1 in both elo and TCEC which is not true.
Correction: Komodo won 2 out of 3 of the last TCEC events. So we have one twice.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

mcostalba wrote:
mvk wrote:
PaulieD wrote:If Stockfish 6 will not be present the "Championships" will be meaningless.
Komodo might show up to, to complete the work of the sekretariat. If that happens the organisation should play the GUNDA-1 card with SF6 and get some kind of competition.
It is not far from my house, yet I will not enter or watch. Personally I favor the TCEC format to decide on world championship.
After they have pathetically changed the link of their site http://komodochess.com/ to point to the only rating list in which Komodo is still #1 (because SF 6 still has not been tested there!) I expect anything out of them, even that Komodo participates icga and gives up TCEC (like Hiarcs did).

I have respect for Komodo people, but I starting to see they are steering to desperate (and, sorry to say, quite pity) actions. They are commercial, they need to get money out of this Komodo thing, I understand this, nevertheless....
I greatlly respect the Stockfish team and how hard they have worked. But Marco, "pathetic" and "desperate"? We have been updating the links as the rating lists change to try to keep them current. No lies, no deception. As I recall, even after Stockfish lost the TCEC last year, the stockfish.org site still claimed "The strongest chess engine in the world." I wonder why you did not change that after that loss? As for who is best, you will just have to wait for the Komodo 9 release to find out.