Is Smith Morra gambit sound?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ethanara

Re: Is Smith Morra gambit sound?

Post by ethanara »

By now, I think I got the courage to play it against the next opponent who plays the sicilian against me in the tournament im in (rated, 1h15min for 40 moves + 30 minutes for rest)
I normally play the grand prix attack, so I think this is better.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Btw. it might be interesting to run such a tournament with books on and learning enabled, if the engine(s) and/or GUI supports that. Then you will see over time if the book moves are really any good. (Not sure how common this is but mine adjusts book frequency based on game results and score out of the opening).

--Jon
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

Last year, I run a dozen games, in Advanced Chess mode (60'/game) against a strong opponent (IM).
The end result was a draw. It seems that White, despite the pawn less, is able (albeit with difficulty) to equalize the game. A real game (without the aid of computer) however, is quite another thing...
Don

Post by Don »

Carotino wrote:Last year, I run a dozen games, in Advanced Chess mode (60'/game) against a strong opponent (IM).
The end result was a draw. It seems that White, despite the pawn less, is able (albeit with difficulty) to equalize the game. A real game (without the aid of computer) however, is quite another thing...
I know this sounds crazy, but I used to play the gambit as white when I was a tournament player. It seemed that I was more sure of a draw playing this than anything else. I don't know if I ever lost a game as white but I drew a lot of them even against weaker players.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

Don wrote:
Carotino wrote:Last year, I run a dozen games, in Advanced Chess mode (60'/game) against a strong opponent (IM).
I know this sounds crazy, but I used to play the gambit as white when I was a tournament player. It seemed that I was more sure of a draw playing this than anything else. I don't know if I ever lost a game as white but I drew a lot of them even against weaker players.
Is a dynamic opening, if Black makes a mistake, likely to pay a very high price... Black has to play with precision and energy, or risks of falling into a nightmare. To me, it happened! :D
ethanara

Post by ethanara »

carotino wrote: I know this sounds crazy, but I used to play the gambit as white when I was
Is a dynamic opening, if Black makes a mistake, likely to pay a very high price... Black has to play with precision and energy, or risks of falling into a nightmare. To me, it happened! :D
Thats why i will play it, since my opponent is 1200 danish elo! (About equal to 1400 uscf i think)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Don wrote:
ethanara wrote:Hi
I'm trying to make a tournament where the only thing is played is Smith-morra gambit.
Here is the conditions:

Time control : 5min + 3sec increment (like IPON)
Start position: Obviously the Smith-Morra (1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3)
Computer: x64 Intel core i3, not sure how many cores or ghz
Engines:
Vitruvius 1.0H HEM
Vitruvius 1.0C HEM
Komodo 3
Critter 1.4
Stockfish 2.2.2 JA

I personally dont think that SMG is downright lost, but it tends to not give white an advantage.
Happy blitzing!
Smith Morra is probably not unsound. If it loses, it's unsound but I agree with you that it's may not the best way to play for a win. But white probably doesn't have a win in the opening position.
I think it is unsound and leads to a clear Black advantage with correct play. Most books only show the lines that favor White's ambitions.

On the other hand, I am not talking at low club level such as 1400-1900, so feel free to play it. If you are in that group, by all means play it as it will certainly teach a lot on initiative and attack.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."