Thinker is blowing my mind

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bhlangonijr

Re: Thinker is blowing my mind

Post by bhlangonijr »

bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/premier.htm
Outperforming stockfish.
Possibly could beat Rybka.
All in a program the size of a grain of sand.

I do have two wishes:
1. A cotton-picking, gravy-licking pv
2. For Lance and {someone else is working on it now whose name escapes me} to write a book on how to write a chess program.
Just to keep things in perspective, feel free to try to explain to me how one actually develops a chess engine that does _not_ display the PV or score? How does one test and debug such an engine?

food for thought, for those that actually have inquiring minds, rather than being mindless followers...

There is logical, and there is irrational, one chooses their camp.
I am just wondering why do they allow Thinker to attend the tournaments at CCT, since it is mandatory to kibitz the last PV lines and evaluation outputs of the engine....
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

bhlangonijr wrote:
bob wrote:
Outperforming stockfish.

I do have two wishes:
2. For Lance and {someone else is working on it now whose name escapes me} to write a book on how to write a chess program.
Just to keep things in perspective, feel free to try to explain to me how one actually develops a chess engine that does _not_ display the PV or score? How does one test and debug such an engine?

food for thought, for those that actually have inquiring minds, rather than being mindless followers...

I am just wondering why do they allow Thinker to attend the tournaments at CCT, since it is mandatory to kibitz the last PV lines and evaluation outputs of the engine....
In CCT not all rules are strictly being followed, it is up to the director really, I have not verified if Thinker was kibitzing required outputs or not during CCT, however the authors of Thinker are shall we say recognized, trustworthy, I have no problem with that.
mloftus955
Full name: mark loftus

Post by mloftus955 »

I never heard of the program "Rick48 v4", and that seems to be doing well. What program is that?

Mark
bob

Post by bob »

Ferdy wrote:
bhlangonijr wrote:
bob wrote:
Outperforming stockfish.

I do have two wishes:

In CCT not all rules are strictly being followed, it is up to the director really, I have not verified if Thinker was kibitzing required outputs or not during CCT, however the authors of Thinker are shall we say recognized, trustworthy, I have no problem with that.
Strange criteria. Was not Vas "recognized and trustworthy"???