Houdini 1.5 running for the IPON

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IWB

Houdini 1.5 running for the IPON

Post by IWB »

The current result can be found here:

http://www.inwoba.de

Have fun
Ingo
Dann Corbit

Re: Houdini 1.5 running for the IPON

Post by Dann Corbit »

Quick summary:
All the other programs are bleeding out of their ears.
On all the mini-matches played that I examined, Houdini 1.5 won them fairly decisively.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:Quick summary:
All the other programs are bleeding out of their ears.
On all the mini-matches played that I examined, Houdini 1.5 won them fairly decisively.
Atm after 170 games it's 90elo better than the previous version. Error margins are around 50elo atm, so in the worst case it's at least 40 elo better than the previous version. Realistically 50 elo is something to expect, which is beyond 35elo that Robert humbly announced and well beyond level of Rybka 4.
Houdini 1.5-Rybka 3 elo difference will now certainly surpass Rybka 1.0 beta-Fruit 2.1 difference.
Let's see now will some vain programmers give credit where credit is due, or they'll continue to apply double standards as usual...
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

No double standards by me

Robert Houdart get the credit for Houdini1.05
Vasik Rajlich got the credit for rybka 1 beta and later versions of rybka.

For known authors
I assume legal if there is no convincing proof that it is illegal so from my point of view both Houdini and Rybka are legal.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

IWB wrote:The current result can be found here:

Have fun
Ingo
The results are crushing.....Blow out!!

I am 19 games into my testing with Houdini 1.5. Playing Rybka 4 100 games against Houdini 1.5 at 40move/5mins

Right Now Houdini is crushing Rybka 4. +7 =10 -2 TP = +94
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Have fun
Ingo

Hallo,

Several weeks ago you was asking me about 'how can i improve my list'
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... t&start=30

And here is my point of view for your own work
Actually i am too busy nowadays,but anyway i found a little bit time for right now and here is my advise for you:
-to be a Professional Tester/Useful/Trusted Chess Site:you can start with allowing DOWNLOAD games (with annotations)

BTW,hopefully one day you will follow my recommendation and only after that your work/site will be Grow,Useful,Trusted...

And last:unfortunately currently (with your conditions/rules) i have no fun with your rating list

Happy New Year,
Sedat Canbaz
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hello Sedat,
Sedat Canbaz wrote:
IWB wrote:The current result can be found

And last:unfortunately currently (with your conditions/rules) i have no fun with your rating list
:-)

Thx for the input but reading the last comment the best advice I can give is: Do not look at it!

Regards
Ingo
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Thx for the input
Not at all,its my big pleasure...

Do not look at it!
Sure...and i have same wish from you:please don't look at my work too :)

Best,
Sedat
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:

Have fun
Ingo

Hallo,

Several weeks ago you was asking me about 'how can i improve my list'
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... t&start=30

And here is my point of view for your own work
Actually i am too busy nowadays,but anyway i found a little bit time for right now and here is my advise for you:
-to be a Professional Tester/Useful/Trusted Chess Site:you can start with allowing DOWNLOAD games (with annotations)
Totally right!
His list is nice, has a nice and easy page layout, nice presentation, ponder ON(:D) an amazing feature of live results(every 90s anyway), but for me all these mean nothing, nothing, because of lack of the games.

His list would be amazing but it is crap for me. Sorry if that sounds impolite but i'm used to say things the way i'm feeling about them. And i say that his list WITH the option to download the games would be amazing.

He doesn't provide this option. So the list is fun to watch but just like you it has another one(me obviously) that doesn't like it at all because of lack of games.

And as you say credibility of a list without giving the games of it is severely degraded.

BTW,hopefully one day you will follow my recommendation and only after that your work/site will be Grow,Useful,Trusted...
I have said this from the first time i saw his list, i repeated this countless times and i will keep saying this. For reasons i can't understand he doesn't want to give the games. :shock:
It's a shame for me and you that such a potentially good list means nothing right now. :(

I have. It was nice watching Houdini's 1.5 ELO fluctuating back and forth, raising and falling.
But then i realized that i was just watching some numbers and statistics and not Chess because the games was absent, so i quit watching.

I wonder how a list can be called a Chess rating list when no Chess element is present.
No Chess game given, even for just a sample! Not any good positions from the games. Not any good moves from the games. Not any good sacrifices played. Not a simple fact given that these are Chess games.
Just numbers.

Big pity....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

No Chess game given, even for just a sample! Not any good positions from the games.
Not allowing the games,probably he (Ingo) is afraid that the Book Authors will steal/copy his opening moves lines :)

With a respect to all,but currently instead of 'IPON' name,its much better suits 'DREAM' or 'IMAGINATION' rating list !

Best Wishes,
Sedat