GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-55)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
lkaufman
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by lkaufman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Steve B wrote: Connie recoils in horror at Whites last move and regroups with...

41..Ne6

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p2nBp1/3r4/3p4/3B4/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 41

Fortifying Regards
Steve
I play 42.Bc4, which appears to win rook for bishop. This is especially important here because two rooks can defend each other against my queen, but one rook can be a target for my queen. The alternative was 42.Bxg6, which looks good at first but Black can decline it and push the passed "d" pawn, and although I can stop it by bringing the bishop back to d1 this looks risky for me and not as promising as playing for the win of the Exchange.

Uri Blass
Posts: 8796
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Uri Blass » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 am

lkaufman wrote:
Steve B wrote: Connie recoils in horror at Whites last move and regroups with...

41..Ne6

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p2nBp1/3r4/3p4/3B4/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 41

Fortifying Regards
Steve
I play 42.Bc4, which appears to win rook for bishop. This is especially important here because two rooks can defend each other against my queen, but one rook can be a target for my queen. The alternative was 42.Bxg6, which looks good at first but Black can decline it and push the passed "d" pawn, and although I can stop it by bringing the bishop back to d1 this looks risky for me and not as promising as playing for the win of the Exchange.
I do not see how the bishop go to d1 after 42.Bxg6 d3
If you meant 43.Bh5 then it is losing against Rxh5
If you meant 43.Be4 then black play 43...d2 and force 44.Qd1

After 42.Bxg6 d3 the best is simply to play 43.Bxd3 Rxd3 Qh4 when the threat Qh8 mate force black to make a perpetual check(Ng7 Qg5 is even worse for black because after that the white king can escape the perpetual by Ke4 when Re4+ is not winning unlike the case that the knight protects e4).

Of course your choice is better and white has no reason to play for a draw in this position.

Note that I did not see 43.Bxd3 by myself and only after seeing 0.00 score by the computer for 43.Bxd3 found the reason for it.

Uri

lkaufman
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by lkaufman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 am

Uri Blass wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
I do not see how the bishop go to d1 after 42.Bxg6 d3
If you meant 43.Bh5 then it is losing against Rxh5
If you meant 43.Be4 then black play 43...d2 and force 44.Qd1

After 42.Bxg6 d3 the best is simply to play 43.Bxd3 Rxd3 Qh4 when the threat Qh8 mate force black to make a perpetual check(Ng7 Qg5 is even worse for black because after that the white king can escape the perpetual by Ke4 when Re4+ is not winning unlike the case that the knight protects e4).

Of course your choice is better and white has no reason to play for a draw in this position.

Note that I did not see 43.Bxd3 by myself and only after seeing 0.00 score by the computer for 43.Bxd3 found the reason for it.

Uri
I meant 43.Qg3 d2 44.Bc2+ and Bd1, but there is also 43...Kf8 to analyze. I did notice the drawing line you mention but as you say I'm not looking for a draw.

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Steve B » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:05 am

lkaufman wrote: I play 42.Bc4, which appears to win rook for bishop. This is especially important here because two rooks can defend each other against my queen, but one rook can be a target for my queen. The alternative was 42.Bxg6, which looks good at first but Black can decline it and push the passed "d" pawn, and although I can stop it by bringing the bishop back to d1 this looks risky for me and not as promising as playing for the win of the Exchange.
Connie must be programmed to avoid the loss of the exchange at all costs as she plays the ill considered ..

42..R5d6

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1rnBp1/8/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 43

strangely..this is now Connies 8th R move out of the last 14 moves
in retrospect..it would probably have been better if she was the one playing without the R from the start
:P

Slip Sliding Away Regards
Steve

lkaufman
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by lkaufman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Steve B wrote: Connie must be programmed to avoid the loss of the exchange at all costs as she plays the ill considered ..

42..R5d6

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1rnBp1/8/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 43

strangely..this is now Connies 8th R move out of the last 14 moves
in retrospect..it would probably have been better if she was the one playing without the R from the start
:P

Slip Sliding Away Regards
Steve
I play 43.Be5, which aside from attacking the rook has the idea of Qh4 Ng7 Qh6, which I can't play directly as the f6 bishop would hang.

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Steve B » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:15 am

lkaufman wrote: I play 43.Be5, which aside from attacking the rook has the idea of Qh4 Ng7 Qh6, which I can't play directly as the f6 bishop would hang.
Connie Finally seems resigned to losing the exchange and plays..

43..Ng5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1r2p1/4B1n1/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 44

Inevitable Regards
Steve

bob
Posts: 20918
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by bob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Steve B wrote:
lkaufman wrote: I play 43.Be5, which aside from attacking the rook has the idea of Qh4 Ng7 Qh6, which I can't play directly as the f6 bishop would hang.
Connie Finally seems resigned to losing the exchange and plays..

43..Ng5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1r2p1/4B1n1/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 44

Inevitable Regards
Steve
I hope connie is not so focused on the rook that it forgets about the king. :)

Anil
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Anil » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Steve B wrote:Connie Finally seems resigned to losing the exchange and plays..

43..Ng5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1r2p1/4B1n1/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 44

Inevitable Regards
Steve
I think Connie has played the best possible move available here. Nice to see her fight.

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Steve B » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Anil wrote:
Steve B wrote:Connie Finally seems resigned to losing the exchange and plays..

43..Ng5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1r2p1/4B1n1/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 44

Inevitable Regards
Steve
I think Connie has played the best possible move available here. Nice to see her fight.
With Connie you just never know
she can stumble into a seemingly good move but perhaps for the entirely wrong reason
the frustrating thing for me in operating her is that she does not show any anticipated line of play
not even the opponents reply..no score of the position ..no search depth...nada
i chose the Connie 3.6 in this game because i just acquired her in my collection and thought it would be a good way to test if she was in good working order

For the next game against Movei i am going to use the Saitek Prisma (rated about 1730 Elo) which shows the anticipated line of play 6 ply long (at 3 minutes per move) as well as the Score of the position and the search depth
not to mention i can turn it off and it will retain the entire game in memory

Regards
Steve

Albert Silver
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 41-O

Post by Albert Silver » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Steve B wrote:
Anil wrote:
Steve B wrote:Connie Finally seems resigned to losing the exchange and plays..

43..Ng5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p2/1p1r2p1/4B1n1/2Bp4/8/P7/4Q1K1 w - - 0 44

Inevitable Regards
Steve
I think Connie has played the best possible move available here. Nice to see her fight.
With Connie you just never know
she can stumble into a seemingly good move but perhaps for the entirely wrong reason
the frustrating thing for me in operating her is that she does not show any anticipated line of play
not even the opponents reply..no score of the position ..no search depth...nada
i chose the Connie 3.6 in this game because i just acquired her in my collection and thought it would be a good way to test if she was in good working order

For the next game against Movei i am going to use the Saitek Prisma (rated about 1730 Elo) which shows the anticipated line of play 6 ply long (at 3 minutes per move) as well as the Score of the position and the search depth
not to mention i can turn it off and it will retain the entire game in memory

Regards
Steve
Perhaps, but it is pretty obvious she is threatening Nf3+.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

Post Reply