GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:My rating is also not much above 2000 but I believe in material so even if black lose the pawn h7 it does not seem dangerous to me(and black can defend).

The only question is if there is a way to cause the computer to make mistakes.
I guess that after
After g4 Qg6 Bc1 the computer is going to find the best move Na5 with the idea Qc6.

I did not think about it before looking at the analysis of engines but the move that I thought about(d6) is probably also enough.
Uri
i notice Movei is rated about 2700 on the Rating lists
i think it might be a good choice next to continue this experiment and pit a different 1700 Dedicated against it at R odds
i would need someone to operate Movei though and post moves at one move per day much like in this match now
if anyone is interested in doing that please let me know

Steve
I can play Guess the Move but it might interfere with the game and your experiment. :)

I feel I was wrong to undervalue the Rook, it must be close to 700 rtg. pts., maybe more, which translates into an advantage against equal opponents to a win percentage ~100% of the time according to the elo system.
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:My rating is also not much above 2000 but I believe in material so even if black lose the pawn h7 it does not seem dangerous to me(and black can defend).

The only question is if there is a way to cause the computer to make mistakes.
I guess that after
After g4 Qg6 Bc1 the computer is going to find the best move Na5 with the idea Qc6.

I did not think about it before looking at the analysis of engines but the move that I thought about(d6) is probably also enough.
Uri
i notice Movei is rated about 2700 on the Rating lists
i think it might be a good choice next to continue this experiment and pit a different 1700 Dedicated against it at R odds
i would need someone to operate Movei though and post moves at one move per day much like in this match now
if anyone is interested in doing that please let me know

Steve
I can play Guess the Move but it might interfere with the game and your experiment. :)

I feel I was wrong to undervalue the Rook, it must be close to 700 rtg. pts., maybe more, which translates into an advantage against equal opponents to a win percentage ~100% of the time according to the elo system.
you would be more then welcome to try to guess the moves or make whatever comments you thought interesting
anyway..this game is far from over and i suspect Connie will have to weather a fierce attack before it ends
Hunkering Down Regards
Steve
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Steve B wrote:
Connie perhaps a bit nervous about the e6 mate threat and her exposed Q plays the timid...
16..Qg6

[d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn3q1/4P3/2B5/2Q2N1P/PB3PP1/3R2K1 w - - 0 17

After the 16th move Connie leaves the playing hall for a spot of dinner and stops to pose for a photo for the frenzied crowds of Paparazzi waiting outside

Dinner At Tiffany's Regards
Steve
I play 17.Bd3. I'd rather not be forcing Connie's moves, but it's not easy to improve my position quietly. So far Connie has played almost perfectly, unless you want to criticize ...Rfd8. My rook-odds human opponents don't play this well.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lkaufman wrote:
I play 17.Bd3. I'd rather not be forcing Connie's moves, but it's not easy to improve my position quietly. So far Connie has played almost perfectly, unless you want to criticize ...Rfd8. My rook-odds human opponents don't play this well.
With only 3 un-attacked Squares to choose from Connie slides her Q to..
17..Qh6

[d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn4q/4P3/8/2QB1N1P/PB3PP1/3R2K1 w - - 0 18

Getting a bit Edgy Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
17..Qh6

Steve
I don't envy Larry's plight. 18. Bc1..Qh5 19. Re1.
Terry McCracken
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Steve B wrote:
17..Qh6

Steve
I play 18.Bc1. Maybe Connie won't see that her queen is attacked :)
pacifist

Post by pacifist »

I was hoping he play 16...Nf5 instead of Qh6 and then the sequence 17. Nh4 Qh5 18. Nxf5 Qxd1+ would have been very tempting for Connie but also very dangerous to defend despite the material imbalance :).

Now, the attack is still strong and as long as the extra rook doesn't come into play there are chances to destroy the king's defenses. A perpetual would also be a good result of course :)
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lkaufman wrote: I play 18.Bc1. Maybe Connie won't see that her queen is attacked :)
Connie's beleaguered Q now has only 2 "safe" squares to choose from

Hesitantly she limps to ....
18..Qh5

[d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4P2q/8/2QB1N1P/P4PP1/2BR2K1 w - - 0 19

Under Siege Regards
Steve
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Steve B wrote:
Connie's beleaguered Q now has only 2 "safe" squares to choose from

Hesitantly she limps to ....
18..Qh5

[d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4P2q/8/2QB1N1P/P4PP1/2BR2K1 w - - 0 19

Under Siege Regards
Steve
I reply 19.Re1, partly to unpin my knight, but also with the possibility of R-e4-h4. I can hope that some critical lines will be beyond the roughly five ply horizon of Connie.
Anil

Post by Anil »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
17..Qh6

Steve
I don't envy Larry's plight. 18. Bc1..Qh5 19. Re1.
Good guessing there, Terry! Let's see some more :)