On-line blitz tourney May

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

On-line blitz tourney May

Post by hgm »

Please note that this Saturday (May 9) there will be another on-line blitz tourney on my home server:

Saturday May 9, 21:00 CET

(This is 3pm EST and noon in California)

New participants, please post your intention to join the tourney here, so I can prepare a login account on the server in advance.
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Re: On-line blitz tourney May

Post by Engin »

if this mean CET = Central Europe Time ?

if is it mean that on 21:00 evening in germany, then maybe i will play with Tornado.
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

hgm wrote:Please note that this Saturday (May 9) there will be another on-line blitz tourney on my home server:

New participants, please post your intention to join the tourney here, so I can prepare a login account on the server in advance.
Btw, I would like to propose that we use your server for the next ACCA event. That way we are not tied to the limitations of ICC.

You server is definitely compliant with the "necessary subset" of the ICS protocol.
bob

Post by bob »

CThinker wrote:
hgm wrote:Please note that this Saturday (May 9) there will be another on-line blitz tourney on my home server:

Btw, I would like to propose that we use your server for the next ACCA event. That way we are not tied to the limitations of ICC.

You server is definitely compliant with the "necessary subset" of the ICS protocol.
What are the "limitations of ICC"???

They have excellent bandwidth, excellent internet access point, right in the heart of the internet backbone in fact. Which is an important point. Not to mention timestamp and such.
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

bob wrote:
CThinker wrote:

What are the "limitations of ICC"???

They have excellent bandwidth, excellent internet access point, right in the heart of the internet backbone in fact. Which is an important point. Not to mention timestamp and such.
One big limitation to me is that guests on ICC cannot watch games or chat.

As for timestamp, FICS and FICS-like servers have timeseal.

I also don't think bandwidth is an issue with Harm's server. Chess is not a high-traffic service. Definitely not in the media (audio/video) class. With timeseal, lag should not be an issue either.
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

How sounds this server to name Computer Chess Club Server = CCCS ?

and we use this always for online computerchess tounaments ???
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

CThinker wrote: One big limitation to me is that guests on ICC cannot watch games or chat.
Guests on ICC can watch games.
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
CThinker wrote: One big limitation to me is that guests on ICC cannot watch games or chat.
Guests on ICC can watch games.
Well, sort of. Guests cannot join channels. They won't know which games to watch. They can 'observe' the games of a particular player. For our tournaments, the guest would have to know what are the player handles to observe, but how can they do that without joining the tournament channel?

So, really, its a bad guest experience.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Is there a guest account on HG's system ?
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

Spock wrote:Is there a guest account on HG's system ?
Just like in FICS, you just login with any unregistered name. The server will automatically treat you as guest. But unlike ICC, guests on FICS (and Harm's server) can do anything, including play games, join channels, watch, chat, etc.