Who will win this Division Movei, prodeo or Chess Tiger ?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Re: Who will win this Division Movei, prodeo or Chess Tiger

Post by Tony Thomas »

Note that Tiger is still using a very old book that hasnt been updated since the end of 2004.
Uri Blass

Re: Who will win this Division Movei, prodeo or Chess Tiger

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Jouni wrote:bright - Chess Tiger 3-1! This is going to be very exciting! BTW are 5 best playing already in next Premier Division?

Jouni
As I stated before,when playing with it's default opening book,Bright performs much better than with generic opening book....

Note only that bright has similiar rating to tiger with generic books

http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040.l ... ons_only=1

Bright's rating is 2803 when tiger's rating is 2795

In WBEC tiger has 53/84 against 52.5/84 of Bright so I do not see
that generic book change the picture and in both cases bright and tiger have almost the same strength.

Note also that Movei seems to be almost the only program that plays the king's gambit in this tournament and I do not think that it is a good choice espacially when movei is missing some book moves because they were not played at least twice in the pgn that the book of it is based on it.

Movei has positive score with the king's gambit and it learns from positive score so it is going to continue to play it but it could probably score better
with different choice than 2.f4

Uri
pichy

Re: Congratulation Uri......................................

Post by pichy »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Jouni wrote:bright - Chess Tiger 3-1! This is going to be very exciting! BTW are 5 best playing already in next Premier Division?

Jouni

PS. It's stunning how well pre-historic Aristarch is playing
Only the number one is guaranteed a spot in premier. Places 2-5 have to play against the last five engines from Premier, and out of those 9 engines, 4 top scorers promotes to Premier and the rest goes down to 1st division.
In that case Movie0_8_438 with 8 more games to play is almost certain to take fist place, since all other engines only have 4 more games to play.

PS: Congratulation Uri, Movei 0_8_438 has reached the level of Chess Tiger, Pro Deo, Bright, Chiron and other strong engines
:D
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Movei has to score only 4.5 points out of 8 to win. Did you notice CT making a run for the first place towards the end with a 4-0 result against Chepla. Too late I say.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Now movei beat greenlight 4-0 and has 3.5 points more than tiger but
I think congratulations are too early.

Tiger may win his match 4-0 when
in 4 games of movei against zarkov everything is possible.

Uri
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Uri Blass wrote:Now movei beat greenlight 4-0 and has 3.5 points more than tiger but
I think congratulations are too early.

Tiger may win his match 4-0 when
in 4 games of movei against zarkov everything is possible.

Uri
I doubt that CT can pull another upset and get a 4-0 against E.T. Also, movei should be able to score at least 1/2 a point against Zarkov.
pichy

Post by pichy »

pichy wrote: The Champion of the 1st Divisions Edition 15 is Movei0_8_438 and it did NOT needed to play the last 4 games.

PS: Congratulations Uri :D

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/1stdiv.htm
Ross Boyd

Re: Yes, well done Uri!!

Post by Ross Boyd »

Congratulations Uri!!

Amazing improvement from where Movei started.
Soon you will need to call it "Movka"... :D

If you would be so kind, what do you think has contributed most to Movei's improvement over the last year?

Have you implemented material imbalance tables in your evaluation?

Are you using R=3 for null move reduction or a variable? Double nullmove? Threat detection?

Do you use hash table cutoffs yet (for non-PV nodes)?

Anyway, well done!

Ross
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ross Boyd wrote:Congratulations Uri!!

Amazing improvement from where Movei started.
Soon you will need to call it "Movka"... :D

If you would be so kind, what do you think has contributed most to Movei's improvement over the last year?

Have you implemented material imbalance tables in your evaluation?

Are you using R=3 for null move reduction or a variable? Double nullmove? Threat detection?

Do you use hash table cutoffs yet (for non-PV nodes)?

Anyway, well done!

Ross
Thanks to you and Jorge.

1)I did not implement material imbalance table in the evaluation.
2)I use R=3 for null move reduction except not using null move when the remaining depth is 1 because I use different pruning.
3)I do not use double null move but I use verified null move pruning in the endgame as suggested by Omid David.
No threat detection.
4)Nothing special about hash except the fact that 438 is the first version of wbec that is using hash for pruning.

The search of movei is based on normal alpha beta in the way that is done in tscp and I even do not use PVS.

except reductions pruning and extensions and null move
I added to the normal alpha beta fail high and fail low(and the initial aspiration window is not infinite) but I do not have PVS because PVS is also about interior nodes.
I also do not use IID.

The name PVS was misleading and for a long time I thought that the fact that I have a pv means that I use PVS and I even did not care to check what is PVS and later PVS simply did not work for me(maybe because of bugs and I did not do a lot of tries because I prefer to improve the program in other ways).

Uri
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Congrats Uri!

I've been using Movei 00.8.438 (101010) to analyze my games and I think that it's a great program. Are you thinking in implementing move ignoring or Multi-PV on a future version?
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.