Program for running test games

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Pope

Program for running test games

Post by Robert Pope »

I've always done my testing via 20-40 game matches against a single opponent directly through WinBoard. The recent discussions have given me the itch to enhance this process. What program is best to manage this? It seems like there are several possibilities -- JorisWBTM and Galis come to mind immediately, but I don't know what would work best.

Here's what I think I need:
1. I'm running Windows XP.
2. I have a WinBoard engine, so I don't know how it will behave in Arena or other UCI front-ends.
3. Ability to designate several opponents.
4. Say, a 10-20 game match against each opponent.
5. Ability to start randomly from a pre-set group of openings (e.g. Nunn positions).
6. Ability to pre-configure the set up, so I can quickly repeat a set of matches when I have a new version, without having to re-select all the conditions: opponents, time control, openings, etc.

Any recommendations?
Marc Lacrosse

Re: Program for running test games

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Robert Pope wrote:I've always done my testing via 20-40 game matches against a single opponent directly through WinBoard. The recent discussions have given me the itch to enhance this process. What program is best to manage this? It seems like there are several possibilities -- JorisWBTM and Galis come to mind immediately, but I don't know what would work best.

2. I have a WinBoard engine, so I don't know how it will behave in Arena or other UCI front-ends.
5. Ability to start randomly from a pre-set group of openings (e.g. Nunn positions).
6. Ability to pre-configure the set up, so I can quickly repeat a set of matches when I have a new version, without having to re-select all the conditions: opponents, time control, openings, etc.

Any recommendations?
Pradu Kannan's PSWBTM 1.9 has it all and more.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg365v/PSWBTM/
nczempin

Re: Program for running test games

Post by nczempin »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Robert Pope wrote:I've always done my testing via 20-40 game matches against a single opponent directly through WinBoard. The recent discussions have given me the itch to enhance this process. What program is best to manage this? It seems like there are several possibilities -- JorisWBTM and Galis come to mind immediately, but I don't know what would work best.

Any recommendations?
Pradu Kannan's PSWBTM 1.9 has it all and more.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg365v/PSWBTM/
Arena also does. Arena is not a UCI front-end.