Zappa vs Rybka in september in Mexico ??!!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Zappa vs Rybka in september in Mexico ??!!

Post by Vinvin »

From the Hiarcs forum : http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160
Harvey Williamson wrote: I hear from a very reliable source that Rybka will play Zappa in Mexico. This replaces the planned Rybka v Junior match.
There is a $10,000 prize - winner takes all. If the match is drawn then $5000 each.

This will be the 18th - 28th September. 10 games at 60+20. Both sides will use 8 core machines.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Zappa vs Rybka in september in Mexico ??!!

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Vinvin wrote:From the Hiarcs forum : http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160
Harvey Williamson wrote: I hear from a very reliable source that Rybka will play Zappa in Mexico. This replaces the planned Rybka v Junior match.
There is a $10,000 prize - winner takes all. If the match is drawn then $5000 each.

This will be the 18th - 28th September. 10 games at 60+20. Both sides will use 8 core machines.
Oh that would be great! Rybka and computer chess more in general could use some publicity like this. I think many chessplayers still have never heard of Rybka, let alone the general public. I'm curious who will operate Zappa, if Anthony will do it! But I suspect he is too busy with his studies at the moment. But 10,000$ I would suppose to be worth trying to make some improvements to Zappa as well for Anthony. That would be great too! I hope the match will happen! Matches like this can be good publicity for chess as well.

Eelco
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Current public version of Zappa got better chance than the public versions of any other engines. To me this match would be even more interesting if Anthony makes some improvements.
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

If Antony makes enhancements, and someone creates a good anti-Rybka book for him, he has a good chance ihmo.
On 8 cores Zappa might be closer to Rybka than we think ;)
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

If i interprete some discussion (in German, not my strongest language) on the CSS forum, there may very well be some enhancements by Anthony for the occasion. Combine that thought with the fact that the Amsterdam engine (Zanzibar) was UCI compatible, and it is not entirely impossible that there is an updated version on its way. Anyway, someone is putting effort into Zap, and where there is smoke...

Best regards,

Kaj
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Kaj Soderberg wrote:If i interprete some discussion (in German, not my strongest language) on the CSS forum, there may very well be some enhancements by Anthony for the occasion. Combine that thought with the fact that the Amsterdam engine (Zanzibar) was UCI compatible, and it is not entirely impossible that there is an updated version on its way. Anyway, someone is putting effort into Zap, and where there is smoke...

Best regards,

Kaj
If that's the case, I might finally end up buying Zap.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

A UCI Zap is on my shopping list - fingers crossed...
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

There is a new thread on the CSS forum with some links from which can be derived that there is indeed something cooking. Let us hope that the dish will be made public.

Best regards,

Kaj
Lion

Post by Lion »

I dont think we ever will see an UCI Zappa.

I think it will always stay private.

regards
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Lion wrote:I dont think we ever will see an UCI Zappa.

I think it will always stay private.

regards
This is clearly wrong.

Zappa1.1 is a free program that you can download

It is not the zappa that is going to play against Rybka but it is an UCI
zappa.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/acozzie2/www/zappa/

Uri