CEGT 40/20 update (Juli 15th 2007)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Fruit testing : the final version ? ...

Post by Werner »

So far the best setting in my tests is :

Code: Select all

Use Search Focus = true 
Focus Depth = 1 
Pruning = Aggressive 
PPext = true 
Use Aspiration search = false 
Play Style = Normal 
Pawn Shielding Hard = 200 
other parameters : default value 

Is this what you test under my name ?
If not please do change to these values.
Hi Marc,
this is the setting I use. You will get an email from the person I have got this setting.
If you are not interested to see more results with this setting: I can of course stop testing and delete the results in CEGT list.

I am very sorry about this - I thought we are allowed to test the latest beta of Fruit (not the final version) with these two settings. You can reach me via pm here. I have no email adress from you.

Regards
Werner
MirceaH

Post by MirceaH »

Hello Marc :)

This is exactly what is tested in CEGT.

The settings were provided to me by Ryan (presumably he received them from you as one of the best Fruit testers).

Of course we were allowed by him to test and rate both your settings and Search Focus=1 + Playstyle=Aggresive by Ryan.

Friendly regards,
Mircea
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

MirceaH wrote:Hello Marc :)

This is exactly what is tested in CEGT.

The settings were provided to me by Ryan (presumably he received them from you as one of the best Fruit testers).

Of course we were allowed by him to test and rate both your settings and Search Focus=1 + Playstyle=Aggresive by Ryan.

Friendly regards,
Mircea
So it's OK for me :-)

I just did not know how these settings arrived at CEGT and I just wished to be sure that the ones you gave my name to were really those I worked out myself (no description of the setting is given on your site).

By the way I am pretty sure that better settings could be found : these ones are only a preliminary step in the tuning process of this version of Fruit.

Regards

Marc
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Re: Some notes to Rybka 2.32a x64 2CPU in CEGT 40/120

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Dariusz Orzechowski wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:The fact that fruit does not support multi-cpu is not relevant

I responded to the following words:
"I remember when Fruit was the big thing and at that time I was wondering if it was possible to improve on that."

It was obvious that the poster did not mean to 1 cpu to 2 cpu improvement and did not mean to 32 bit to 64 bit improvement.
For me, adding a parallel search is an obvious improvement of an engine. For 64-bit version it's not that straightforward but still in majority of cases it is measurable improvement and Fruit has not improved in any of these areas.
Not every engine architecture is designed for 64 Bit. 64 Bit is not always faster. Fruit is a such candidate.

Best,
Daniel
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

"I remember when Fruit was the big thing and at that time I was wondering if it was possible to improve on that."

It was obvious that the poster did not mean to 1 cpu to 2 cpu improvement and did not mean to 32 bit to 64 bit improvement.
For me, adding a parallel search is an obvious improvement of an engine. For 64-bit version it's not that straightforward but still in majority of cases it is measurable improvement and Fruit has not improved in any of these areas.
For me it is not an improvement of the engine because the performance on the computer I use is not better.

You also missed the point

The words of the poster were:

It was known even at that time that programs can earn speed from parallel search so if the poster was wondering if it is possible to improve on that he meant improving without parallel search.

It was also known at that time that fruit was designed for 32 bit and that it does not use bitboards.

It was simple not designed for system that support 64 bits so comparing it with something that was designed for 64 bit is unfair comparison because fabien could probably use bitboards in case of caring about the minority of people who use 64 bit machines but he cared about the majority and not about the minority.

Uri
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:

Not every engine architecture is designed for 64 Bit. 64 Bit is not always faster. Fruit is a such candidate.

Best,
Daniel
fruit was not written for 64 bit but in case that somebody use bitboards to use the same algorithm of fruit it may become faster.

Of course you need to change the code for that and not only to change the compiler.

Uri
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

It is my mistake, I should have sent you an email to tell you that that I shared the settings with CEGT. They asked if they could test a version of Fruit and I agreed and told them that your settings are likely better than the default. As you know with the many changes in Fruit there is a lot to be fine tuned. I must admit my default settings are not so good. I think your setting are at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ryan
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

OFF TOPIC but perhaps you can help me:

Suddenly before 2-3 weeks Fruit 2.2 stopped working in my PC.
Strangely enough Fruit 2.2.1 works without problem!

I bought Fruit about 2 years ago, and the email i used to purchase it is disabled so i can't go and find the code it asks to enable it again.

If you have access to the name's(i used my real name-George Tsavdaris-to buy it) and you can confirm i bought it then can you please send me Fruit 2.2 to my new steady email:
gtsavdar77@gmail.com (remove 77)

If you can't, then well i suppose i can live without it since i have 2.2.1....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....