Deep Sjeng a weak commercial program

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pichy

Deep Sjeng a weak commercial program

Post by pichy »

If you take a close look a Glarung 1.2.1 which is a little bit weaker than Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 but according to this test is stronger than Deep Sjeng, then you can conclude that getting the free Spike 1.2 or Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 is more logical than buying Deep Sjeng :wink:

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/404FRC/
rhollay

Re: Deep Sjeng a weak commercial program

Post by rhollay »

Logical ?!
Isn't it more logical buying only the latest Rybkas?
Or to use only freeware engines?
Or isn't it even more logical to play chess with your friends instead of computer? That way you could save much more money: computer, OS, electricity bill,...
well ... not the beer
:)
pichy wrote:If you take a close look a Glarung 1.2.1 which is a little bit weaker than Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 but according to this test is stronger than Deep Sjeng, then you can conclude that getting the free Spike 1.2 or Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 is more logical than buying Deep Sjeng :wink:

tiger

Post by tiger »

pichy wrote:If you take a close look a Glarung 1.2.1 which is a little bit weaker than Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 but according to this test is stronger than Deep Sjeng, then you can conclude that getting the free Spike 1.2 or Glaurung 2 epsilon/2 is more logical than buying Deep Sjeng :wink:

<sarcastic mode>

Why do you restrict this to Sjeng or Glaurung?

The strongest free engine is Rybka 1.0 beta. By your reasoning everything that is rated lower is not worth buying.

So there are only 2 programs that are worth buying: Rybka 2.3 and Hiarcs 11.1.

Once you have purchased Rybka, WTF are you going to waste some more money with a program that is rated much lower like Hiarcs?

So it turns out that there is only one chess program in the world that is worth buying, and at this time it is: (tadaaa!...) Rybka 2.3.

All the other chess programs should be free and their authors are trying to rip you off by asking money for them.

Actually, the authors who offer free programs that are rated lower than Rybka 1.0 are also ripping you off because they are basically stealing your precious time with their crappy creations. And some are unable to play FRC (who cares about chess anymore, FRC is the only game that is interesting enough, chess is too simple).

The purpose of the rating lists is just to let you know which program (singular) is worth buying, and this is why for example the CCRL will test every possible combination of every setting from every version of Rybka as soon as Vas has pressed the Save button. The other programs will have to wait.

</sarcastic mode>

// Christophe (in the mood to make new friends tonight)
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Hi Christophe,

well said. I like your "sarcastic mode". It's hit the problems 100% :D

Best,
Daniel
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:Hi Christophe,

well said. I like your "sarcastic mode". It's hit the problems 100% :D

Best,
Daniel
Hi Daniel and Christoph,

Sarcastic mode seems appropriate.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

tiger wrote:

<sarcastic mode>

The strongest free engine is Rybka 1.0 beta. By your reasoning everything that is rated lower is not worth buying.

Not exactly.

Rybka cannot play FRC so everything that is stronger in FRC than the best free FRC program (spike1.2) worth buying so shredder and Loop also worth buying so there are 4 programs that worth buying based on his words(Rybka Hiarcs Shredder Loop).

Uri
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Yes I agree,
...one of your very good postings :D
Werner
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

tiger wrote:
<sarcastic mode>

Once you have purchased Rybka, WTF are you going to waste some more money with a program that is rated much lower like Hiarcs.

So it turns out that there is only one chess program in the world that is worth buying, and at this time it is: (tadaaa!...) Rybka 2.3.

Actually, the authors who offer free programs that are rated lower than Rybka 1.0 are also ripping you off because they are basically stealing your precious time with their crappy creations.
All these are absolutely false because there are people that are not interested in which program is better in engine-engine matches and they are interested in analysis.

And there Rybka is good but other programs has to offer valuable things too. Sjeng, Glaurung, Movei, etc and of course all the other stronger commercials like Junior,Tiger,Shredder,Hiarcs,Fritz, etc many many times find moves that Rybka can't.....

I know a Greek IM that still uses Deep Fritz 7 and Junior 7 for his analysis(well this may come from their ignorance also, since in a group of Greek FMs and IMs i know, at the start of 2007 they still thought that Fritz is the best engine in the world along with Junior until they discovered Fruit 2.2.1 that it is the indisputable king. Until i've shown to them data that there is an engine Rybka, that beats them with ease) and he is very satisfied with their help....

Even Fritz 5.32 where in engine-engine match would be humiliated, can be considered precious since it offers valuable analysis.....

Also all your previous they were not correct for another extra reason:
Suppose you are not interested in analysis and just want to have the best in engine-engine matches. Then you would only buy Rybka. And then what?
You need strong opponents to play so you will have to buy strong programs. And also you need to download free programs too.
So for one reason or another you can't live only with Rybka.....
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

tiger wrote:
<sarcastic mode>
</sarcastic mode>

// Christophe (in the mood to make new friends tonight)
<grave mode> :D
+ Zap!chess Zanzibar, if good hardware.
Probably new Junior 10.1 and older Loop 10.32 or 12.32 (support multivariant mode).
Subject to Shredder, Fritz. And Fruit, but Toga free ....

For collectors all other.
I like Smarthink (interesting book and play)
</grave mode>

Best wishes Pavel Háse
Dave McClain
Location: Major, 45 Commando, Royal Marines, Condor Barracks, Arbroath, Scotland
Full name: Dave MCClain

Post by Dave McClain »

Jorge,

I buy chess programs to enjoy myself playing with them regardless of their strength. If I wanted to increase my ELO strength and impress everyone of course I would buy Rybka (I don't own it and never will). The lower strength commercial and amateur programs offer much, a lot of variety. This is what I enjoy and not ELO ratings. I haven't played against one of them that hasn't offered enjoyment.

When I can write a better program than the lastest Deep Sjeng, then Imight complain about it being not worth the price. I think it's a very nice program. It's more fun when on occasion these programs knock off the mighty Rybka!
Major, 45 Commando, Royal Marines,
Condor Barracks, Arbroath, Scotland