CEGT 40/20 update including DeepSjeng2.5+ChessTiger2007.1

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: CEGT 40/20 update including DeepSjeng2.5+ChessTiger2007.

Post by Werner »

Hi Thorsten,
I made 20 games under ert with the native engine Chess Tiger 2007.1.
I used 10 openings nomenselect and I can replay all (sometimes bad) moves from Chess Tiger. There are some dangerous positions and Chess Tiger 2007.1 does not look very much for his kingsafety e.g.
These 10 starting positions maybe bad for the engine but every position is player with black and white. With more games against Toga we will see what happens. I will report the result of my 50 games match in 2 or 3 days - at least next sunday.
Werner
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Chess Tiger 2007 has one of the finnest native opening book among the commercial programs and testing it with opening sets or generic opening books forcing it to play from bad positions won't give you an accurate result for the engine performance....
This is why Thorsten and I myself have a different results from yours,I agree with him 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

with or without its own books a strength increase for this update should be expected for all,not just for thorsten.
Best
Fonzy
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Yes,but it makes a big difference if you force the engine to use positions not familiar with,that's why in the big computer chess tournaments the engines use their own opening book for maximum performance and big names of the opening book makers are involved.....
Did you ever ask yourself why they don't use generic opening books or opening sets for all the the compating engines!?
I guess the answer is rather simple 8-)
Of course this question is similar to the one regarding who was first,the chicken or the egg :P
Anyway,the most important thing is to have fun,this is the major purpose 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

the strength increase is there. it has nothing to do with the opening book since tiger2007 and 2007.1 use the same book. on my machines and on CEGT machines too.

only CEGT uses different opening-positions.
this could also be an explanation for Loop and Shredder.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks for the clarification,I see now....so it's a matter of more games,let's wait and see 8-)
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

This week we made another 100 games with new Chess Tiger 2007.1. After now 628 games there is nearly no difference to Chess Tiger 2007 (+3). The error bar is +- 20 so there is a chance for a better rating in the future.
I do not claim there isn't one but
this strength increase between 2007 and 2007.1 still has to be shown.
Best
Fonzy