The Story Behind The Engine Names ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

The Story Behind The Engine Names ?

Post by rainhaus »

What is the story behind the names of chess engines? Dear authors, it would be great if you could tell us something about it.

A few days ago, I asked the author of the chess engine RubiChess in the CSS-Forum where the name of his engine came from. For me it was pretty clear that it was simply named after the gem ruby. Here's what Andreas Mathies, had to say about it (translation from German):

"Everything you assumed is wrong. In fact, the name originated here: https://de.findagrave.com/memorial/8429 ... ny-tomasin. In my English class in fifth grade (it must have been 1979), a classmate gave us names from the TV series 'House at Eaton Place'. It's a mystery why I was given a female name, but strangely, it meant that this nickname persisted into adulthood and well beyond high school. To give the name a personal touch, I changed the y to an i in the early 1980s. My first programming exercises on the C64, which never went beyond my own 5 1/4-inch floppy disks, ran under the name 'Rubisoft.' And just as 'Rubi' had disappeared into obscurity, I was looking for a name for my emerging chess program. End of story."

So, it's a very personal story. Knowing the story behind a work, it can give you a feeling of what the engine stands for and what inspires it. Which chess engines do we actually know the story behind their names? Which author has commented on it, and what connects them personally to the name?
I couldn't find a separate section for it on GitHub, Wikipedia, CPW, or the authors' pages. Here's a little report on what I was able to research about top engines and well-known programs on the internet and in forums.

Arasan means "king" in Tamil, a language spoken in South India and Sri Lanka.
Koivisto is unknown. Does the name come from a small group of islands northwest of Stockholm, Auno Henrik Koivisto, a Finnish politician who was the ninth president of Finland from 1982 to 1994, or Henrik Koivisto, a Finnish professional ice hockey player?
Nothing was found for Ethereal, Seer, RofChade, Uralochka, Minic and many others.

Okay, with many of the engines the names are so suggestive that you can guess what they are supposed to express: Deep Thought, Tiger, Dragon, Rebel, Tal, Wasp, etc.
The eagerly awaited new CSTal engine. The name says a lot aldready. Mikhail Tal, one of the most famous player personalities, the magician from Riga, the master of sacrifices and combinations.

..........Image

Two quotes from him:
- "You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one
- There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones, and mine."

Houdini had the double meaning of Houdart/escapologist as its inspiration. Whether the engine actually excels in this discipline, to escape from precarious situations, is not known to me.
Hiarcs is simply an abbreviation: "Higher Intelligence Auto Response Chess System."

But beware, sometimes you can be wrong. S.M. Kahlen the author of Shredder, S.M. Kahlen the author of Shredder did not want to make "mincemeat" of his opponents, but to surf a wave in a flashy and skillful way.

..........Image

It might be that this immediately changes the author's image: not a butcher but a sportsman looking for elegance :-)

Since the TV series VIKINGS, many people know what a Berserk is, an angry and violent fighter. However, it could also specifically refer to a Japanese manga

Fritz is a typical German name

.............Image.

Frederick the Great, King of Prussia from 1740-1786, was nicknamed "Old Fritz", and during World War II, Germans called the British "Tommy" and the British called the Germans "Fritz". In my opinion not such a good reference, a war. I don't know why, but for me, Fritz is somehow a synonym for "cheeky"!?

In the case of the top chess engines Stockfish and Komodo, you can actually find something on the original sites.
"Komodo Dragon is the most terrifying lizard in the world, and because "Dragon" refers to the Dragon Sicilian, a popular chess opening"

............Image

Oh hard times! Stockfish is a typical Scandinavian specialty, a dried cod or pollock, and the authors also wanted to express the trade between Norway (Tord Romstad) and Italy (Marco Costalba). But dried fish remains a dry fish, there are prettier names and associations with a chess engine, IMHO. O.k. swimming against the tide, so to speak, I would certainly not baptize my child like that.
But otherwise you can't say anything against this program ;-) Not just an engine, but a world project for which many work and from which many also benefit. The world of computer chess has never seen anything like this.

Rainer
xr_a_y

Re: The Story Behind The Engine Names ?

Post by xr_a_y »

by the way, when you say "nothing was found" for Minic, I can say there is this from the README.md on github
Initially, the code size of Minic was supposed not to go above 2000sloc. It started as a week-end project in october 2018 (forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68701). But, as soon as more features (especially SMP, material tables and bitboard) came up, I tried to keep it under 4000sloc and then 5000sloc, ... This is why this engine was named Minic, this stands for "Minimal Chess" (and is not related to the GM Dragoljub Minić) but it has not much to do with minimalism anymore nowadays... For the record, here is a link to the very first published version of Minic (https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... 4/minic.cc).
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

xr_a_y wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:34 pm by the way, when you say "nothing was found" for Minic, I can say there is this from the README.md on github
Initially, the code size of Minic was supposed not to go above 2000sloc. It started as a week-end project in october 2018 (forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68701). But, as soon as more features (especially SMP, material tables and bitboard) came up, I tried to keep it under 4000sloc and then 5000sloc, ... This is why this engine was named Minic, this stands for "Minimal Chess" (and is not related to the GM Dragoljub Minić) but it has not much to do with minimalism anymore nowadays... For the record, here is a link to the very first published version of Minic (https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... 4/minic.cc).
Thanks for the reply and the information. Good idea, I should check the readme files all. I'm not a programmer, I need to do some more digging into the github menu. :idea:
So the name Mimic expresses your effort to clean up the code to make the program more efficient and clear with fewer and shorter lines of code (slocs). Did this make the program significantly faster or just clearer ?

Now I already know three main reasons for the choice of engine names:

1 Placative names, mostly of a fighting nature (Dragon, Berserk, Revenge, Rebel etc.).
2 Personal reasons (RubiChess)
3 Program technical (Minic)

I hope more authors will come forward. Thanks again!
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

To hell with this double thread. The post "The Story Behind The Engine Names" and "TEST" are identical.
Please reply to "The Story behind"....
Dear mods, maybe you can think of an intelligent solution!?
lithander
Full name: Thomas Jahn

Post by lithander »

My first engine, MinimalChess was meant to be a just a very simple "barebones" engine and at some point adding more features felt like being untrue to the original plan and the name and so I abandoned it's development. When I started to work on my 2nd engine it seemed funny to me to think I was resurrecting the old skeleton engine from it's grave. Unshackled from the constraints of minimalism and simplicity Leorik is the successor to my bare-bones chess engine MinimalChess. Nice slogan, haha. But why the name Leorik?

Well Leoric is a boss in Blizzard's Diablo franchise. It's the skeleton of a former king that is now waking the earth again summoning all kind of undead soldiers on the battlefield to help him fight the player-character. Isn't that like the king in chess who relies so much on the power of the other pieces on the board?

The reason I didn't forget about this bosses name is, however, that my two sons are named Leonard and Frederik and taking a half of both their names and putting them together gives Leorik. And it's fitting in a way because developing a chess engine, like raising a child, takes years and a lot of patience! My third baby ;)
Minimal Chess (simple, open source, C#) - Youtube & Github
Leorik (competitive, in active development, C#) - Github & Lichess
Whiskers
Full name: Adam Kulju

Post by Whiskers »

My engine is named after my pet rabbit :mrgreen:
Mike Sherwin
Full name: Michael J Sherwin

Post by Mike Sherwin »

RomiChess is named after Rommie from Andromeda Ascendant a TV show. She was the ships AI avatar and she played chess against captain Dylan Hunt.
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Whiskers wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm My engine is named after my pet rabbit :mrgreen:
Why not just reprogram the engine as a pet? :idea:
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Mike Sherwin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 am RomiChess is named after Rommie from Andromeda Ascendant a TV show. She was the ships AI avatar and she played chess against captain Dylan Hunt.
Thanks Mike, for the personal introduction. Then there is still a lot to expect from RomiChess. Rommie has superpowers, doesn't she?
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

....I started to code a chess engine in 2010, a simple one, and then to port it to OpenCL to run on a GPU. "Zeta Dva" is the CPU engine, with dva meaning #2 in Yugoslav, a rewrite from scratch after I lost the code. "Zeta" (the GPU port) was the medieval name of now Montenegro, the home country of my parents, and it is the sixth letter in the Greek alphabet, so it stands for project #6.

--
Srdja