SF vs ChessBase declared a draw

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

SF vs ChessBase declared a draw

Post by dkappe »

https://stockfishchess.org/blog/2022/ch ... agreement/

After one year, things will return to the status quo.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Modern Times

Re: SF vs ChessBase declared a draw

Post by Modern Times »

I think that is very definitely a win for the Stockfish team. Chessbase have admitted that they breached the GPL. That was basically the main objective of the lawsuit, as I see it.

And hugely embarrassing for Chessbase.
CornfedForever
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by CornfedForever »

Odd.
One person declares this a 'draw'
another, a 'win for Stockfish'.

Yet another might say if Chessbase doesn't have to pay $$ to team SF, it's a 'win' of sorts for Chessbase.

Kind of reminds me of Rashomon...
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

CornfedForever wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:25 pm Odd.

Yet another might say if Chessbase doesn't have to pay $$ to team SF, it's a 'win' of sorts for Chessbase.

Team SF was never going to ask for money...
CornfedForever
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by CornfedForever »

Raphexon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:28 pm
CornfedForever wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:25 pm Odd.

Team SF was never going to ask for money...
Then one could argue Chessbase did what they did knowing they would likely make $$ and never have to worry about the consequences.
And...they get reinstated from what I see.
Dariusz
Full name: Dariusz Domagała

Post by Dariusz »

It will be interesting to see how "(...) Nevertheless, in one year from now, Tord and Stéphane will reinstate ChessBase's license in practice."
Regards, Darius
https://chessengeria.eu
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Dariusz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 pm It will be interesting to see how "(...) Nevertheless, in one year from now, Tord and Stéphane will reinstate ChessBase's license in practice."
Yes, but will we ever actually see another chessbase product based on Stockfish ?
Dariusz
Full name: Dariusz Domagała

Post by Dariusz »

Modern Times wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:11 pm
Dariusz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 pm It will be interesting to see how "(...) Nevertheless, in one year from now, Tord and Stéphane will reinstate ChessBase's license in practice."
Yes, but will we ever actually see another chessbase product based on Stockfish ?
Unfortunately, I guess it wouldn't surprise me. For years, ChessBase has wanted with all its might to have and promote its products with a strong, preferably one of the strongest chess engines in the world. And that is ok. But this determination of theirs has crossed the boundaries that should not be crossed, and it has appeared.... FatFritz. We know what happened next. And it's probably better for them to focus more on improving their products in the future, because they demand it.
Regards, Darius
https://chessengeria.eu
IrishGambit

Post by IrishGambit »

I wouldn't call this settlement a return to the status quo. At the very least, ChessBase agreed to place under GPL license any neural networks developed for a Stockfish-derived product. They hadn't done so for Fat Fritz, the open source version contained a weaker NN.

I think ChessBase will continue to develop Stockfish derivatives. Their average customer will probably be willing to pay some money to get a product that works out of the box instead of spending time to get the free version to run.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

IrishGambit wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:07 pm I wouldn't call this settlement a return to the status quo. At the very least, ChessBase agreed to place under GPL license any neural networks developed for a Stockfish-derived product. They hadn't done so for Fat Fritz, the open source version contained a weaker NN.

I think ChessBase will continue to develop Stockfish derivatives. Their average customer will probably be willing to pay some money to get a product that works out of the box instead of spending time to get the free version to run.
Does ChessBase own the NN used by FF2 or, failing that, have the rights to distribute it under the GPLv3? Neither of those is true of Houdini, so they couldn’t make it available under the GPL.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".