Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Post by AndrewGrant »

Thomas Lagershausen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:33 pm Can we have some informations about the nnue?

Maybe the size of the net is interesting and what style of play can we see from this net.
Ah, yes, that got away from me.

Ethereal is using the HalfKP paradigm, with a 40960x256 -> 512x32x32x1 Network. This is the textbook approach, but with some changes. Firstly, not all weights are quantized to int8 / int16 for the input layer. Instead, the network goes like this: int16_t => int16_t => (int32_t -> float_t) => float_t => float_t. This approach allows us to never have to pack the data downwards, saving many operations, and also lets us take a slightly more expensive approach to the later layers in exchange for massively increased precision. If I eventually add support for AVX (not avx2) machines, it will be a significant gain as AVX does not have 256-bit vector support for integer types in a meaningful way.

During training the Network actually has 43850 input parameters, using a few factorization of the board to aid in training without having tens of billions of positions. In practice, each Net was trained somewhere between 2 and 4 billion positions total, evaluated by Ethereal / Ethereal NNUE. The networks are trained using a modified form of the Adam optimizer, which allows better performance for datasets with extremely sparse input fields. For example, with a Batch Size of 16384, only about 50% of the 43,850 parameters are used on average.

Data generation for a given network takes about 3 weeks, completed on a 104 core machine. From there, processing that data down into a list of FENs and then into the format used by Ethereal's NNTrainer takes another 12 hours or so. Finally, training the actual Network can take a few days, with many stops and starts to drop the learning rate and find a global optima.

The trainer itself is a fully original work, written in C and making use of all 104 threads. It includes some AVX2 and even AVX512 code for use in updating the network parameters. This toolkit was used in training the Halogen networks as well. It is fairly flexible and trying things like HalfKA, changing layer sizes, adding layers, changing activation functions, or adding more factorizers is only a few minutes of effort in the code. It rivals speeds of GPU based trainers, by leveraging massive SMP and efficient implementations.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm Ethereal 13 has been released, with both a free (Standard) version and a commercial NNUE (Efficiently-Updated Neural Network) version which requires an AVX2 compatible system. The free version is available on Github, and offers minor elo gains over the previous version, with increased functionality for analysis. Ethereal continues its legacy of stability and reliability for analysis and engine play
Congrats Andrew! Big achievement. I'm glad you've pursued commercializing your engine. It makes sense. Ethereal offers original analysis with world-class strength. Good to see competition with Komodo, another engine I admire.

Purchased.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pohl4711 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:21 pm I do not have a credit card (and dont want to get one). So, without the possibility to pay with PayPal or GooglePay, I cannot buy Ethereal 13 and cannot test it.
Just get a pre-paid Visa card at a store.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm Please see: http://chess.grantnet.us/Ethereal/

Ethereal 13 has been released, with both a free (Standard) version and a commercial NNUE (Efficiently-Updated Neural Network) version which requires an AVX2 compatible system. The free version is available on Github, and offers minor elo gains over the previous version, with increased functionality for analysis. Ethereal continues its legacy of stability and reliability for analysis and engine play.
Checked github site a couple of times and as of this time there is no sign of a "Ethereal 13 Free Version with different win 64
Compiles"...There was nothing but source code...(at least so far)...Thx AR :) :wink:
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

JohnW wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 am ....
I'm pretty sure that this is NOT possible in Germany, where Stefan and me as well come from. At least not "at a store", you have to go to a bank...
Concerning credit cards, prepaid cards etc. we have a completely different infrastructure than the USA :)
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Wolfgang wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 am
JohnW wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 am ....
I'm pretty sure that this is NOT possible in Germany, where Stefan and me as well come from. At least not "at a store", you have to go to a bank...
Concerning credit cards, prepaid cards etc. we have a completely different infrastructure than the USA :)
Correct.
And in my opinion, creditcards are rubbish and total unsafe for paying online (remember the hacked Playstation Online Store...).
I will not pay with a creditcard online. Never. If I can buy Ethereal with PayPal or GooglePay, I will do it. Otherwise not.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Hi Andrew,

Please check your PM... :)
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

pohl4711 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:23 am Correct.
And in my opinion, creditcards are rubbish and total unsafe for paying online (remember the hacked Playstation Online Store...).
I will not pay with a creditcard online. Never. If I can buy Ethereal with PayPal or GooglePay, I will do it. Otherwise not.
well I once fell for a scam, fortunately my bank immediately blocked my card so I lost no actual money, but since then I'm extremely careful about where to input my card's data and I prefer paypal wherever possible.

you could try revolut though, they'll send you a physical card and you should be able to top-up via paypal.
what I do now is this: always pay online with paypal if possible, if not I use my revolut card.
I also always use revolut card to withdraw from ATMs and never use my primary card. I always top up each month so the amount of money on my revolut is always limited, in case something catastrophic would happen.

so I actually feel pretty safe now.
Martin Sedlak
towforce

Post by towforce »

There is a big choice of online payment systems, some of which offer a wide variety of ways to pay. I would think that right now, low fees are probably a big consideration for Ethereal.

Andrew wants to maximise automation (understandable), but maybe automation applications like IFTTT (link) could help with this?

In case anyone wants a quick overview of the world of online payment, here's a small sample of online payment systems available in the UK, together with the strengths/weaknesses of each option - link.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm
Damir wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm Hi Andrew,
It would be nice if you can put more buying options like paypal on your list...
When only Credit Card, it would seem you are trying to avoid paying taxes.... :wink: :wink:
pohl4711 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:21 pm I do not have a credit card (and dont want to get one). So, without the possibility to pay with PayPal or GooglePay, I cannot buy Ethereal 13 and cannot test it.
I am in the process of getting Paypal to work. Originally I was planning to use Paypal, as it has greater name recognition, and charges lower fees on my end, where as Stripe takes a fair chunk for non US transactions. Paypal integration seemed like it was only meant for sending physical products, not making digital purchases. As a last resort, I might end up adding a Paypal link which will not be a "sale" page, but simply a money transfer page. Downside is that I will not be able to automate the process as well.
Your excellent engine which is rated higher than Komodo 14 is selling for the same price $39.98 ==> https://komodochess.com/Komodo14.htm
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll: