Benchmark for new iPad Pro with M1 chip

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milton

Benchmark for new iPad Pro with M1 chip

Post by Milton »

Got my iPad Pro today and did 2 benchmarks. This version of the iPad Pro was the 12.9” screen with 500GB storage and 8Gb ram. I have screen shots in my photo library but I am not sure to post them here. I would be glad to email them to someone here if they were interested in posting them.

I used the original Stockfish app from the start position and took at screenshot at 2 minutes. Here were the results:

11909.1 kN/S
12607.8 kN/s
Modern Times

Re: Benchmark for new iPad Pro with M1 chip

Post by Modern Times »

Had it started to heat up and throttle back by that point ? The M1 chip is a good move for Apple and I think for "bursty" loads which would be the typical use it is very good indeed. But for an application that pegs it at 100% for long periods of time continuously, then as with any passively cooled set-up it might be a different story.
Milton

Post by Milton »

Modern Times wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:28 am Had it started to heat up and throttle back by that point ? The M1 chip is a good move for Apple and I think for "bursty" loads which would be the typical use it is very good indeed. But for an application that pegs it at 100% for long periods of time continuously, then as with any passively cooled set-up it might be a different story.

The back of the iPad was connected magnetically to the case, so some heat could escape from the sides and it was starting to feel warm. I am not sure if it was slowing down at the point where I took the screen shots, but I definitely would not want to play a whole game under those conditions. But as a benchmark for speed it was a big improvement over my 3 year old iPad Pro which I traded in for this model.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks, yes technology has moved on a lot in 3 years. The M1 in the iPad must be a nice mix of performance and battery life.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Is this using the old Stockfish?
Because latest version (SF13) included into “Chess Studio” starts at about 11000 kn/s but after about 3min drops to around 8500 kn/s.
I guess this is related to thermal.
Milton

Post by Milton »

Lion wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm Is this using the old Stockfish?
Because latest version (SF13) included into “Chess Studio” starts at about 11000 kn/s but after about 3min drops to around 8500 kn/s.
I guess this is related to thermal.
I used the old app “Stockfish Chess” with author Tord Romstad listed in the App Store.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Modern Times wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:31 am Thanks, yes technology has moved on a lot in 3 years. The M1 in the iPad must be a nice mix of performance and battery life.
Indeed, I think this bodes well not only for Apple devices , but other devices as well as others try to copycat Apple.

We will probably see 50M nps in handheld devices in the not too distance future- 3 to 5 years.