DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Post by Milos »

towforce wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 pm
Leo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:15 amIs anyone fired up about this? I find it interesting.

It's good to know that faster memory is becoming available, and that will probably have the effect of making current memory cheaper. I'm not "fired up" about it though. What I am excited about is SOC technology. What I'm seeing here is:

* very powerful chips

* a high proportion of the hardware that many devices need (can include multi-core CPU, GPU (even TPU in some cases), WiFi, Bluetooth, memory, rechargeable battery control, and many other things, some of which used to cost hundreds of dollars on their own)

* the power consumption can be as low as milliamps in some cases

* the cost of some of them can be unbelievably low (less than a dollar for low-end models, £4.80 for a complete Raspberry Pi - which also includes other components!)

For me, this is a revolution going on under our noses that we're missing - and I am "fired up" about this!
Man you are slowly reaching a point of trolling. There is no such thing as "SoC techonology".
Any Chinese phone of 150$ (out of which screen is probably 50+$) is better than any SoC you can think of, and can you imagine, surprise, surprise, it has bunch of sensors, battery, multiple decent cameras, mike, stereo sound, at least FHD screen, a lot of DRAM, SSD storage and LTE modem.
The revolution you are talking about is called a smartphone. And it exists and is available to masses for over a decade.
towforce

Re: DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Post by towforce »

Open message to the person who sent me a PM asking me to do some tests (I'm not going to name them in case they wish to remain private).

I greatly value test results, and I am grateful to the people who do them. My interest in computer chess has always been to follow a particular branch of AI, and being interested in chess as well.

My own personal chess needs are now met very well just by chess.com: I can play the people who want to play against me there, and I can use it to quickly analyse the game and see the mistakes afterwards (it might not be good enough for the top chess players here, but it's more than good enough for me!)

A top SOC today would be MUCH more powerful than an average PC from 20 years ago, and a cheap SOC today would be more powerful than a top PC from 30 years ago - and they're still at the stage where they're both improving and their price is falling - for a power cost of milliamps!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!