DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Post by Leo »

Is anyone fired up about this? I find it interesting.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/ddr5-ram-release-2021
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
jdart

Re: DDR5 RAM is coming in 2021

Post by jdart »

In my experience memory speed has a relatively small impact on overall system performance. There is some difference with faster RAM, but it's not a lot.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

Leo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:15 am Is anyone fired up about this?
No. It's been some time since I was a teenager.

For me a computer is a tool to get stuff done (or play games). At some point, I buy the fastest computer parts I can afford (or wish to spend money on), build the machine, and then I use it for 5-8 years. I replace it when it either can't keep up anymore, or if I wish to do things it can't. Then I'll take a look in the market to see what's around, and I do the same thing: build the fastest computer I can afford or wish to spend money on.

It's "just" getting a bit faster. The time where there were technologies you had to have, are over for almost 10 years already. If you don't play games, there's not much difference between a computer from 2010 or 2020, except for the fact that the latter is faster; but even the 2010 computer can still do office tasks and play the games up to 2012 (or 2014 if you limit your expectations).

The only people I know that still get excited about new computer hardware are people who spend their entire free time gaming, and can't live with the newest game running slower than 160 FPS at 4K resolution.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

mvanthoor wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 pm

For me a computer is a tool to get stuff done (or play games). At some point, I buy the fastest computer parts I can afford (or wish to spend money on), build the machine, and then I use it for 5-8 years. I replace it when it either can't keep up anymore, or if I wish to do things it can't. Then I'll take a look in the market to see what's around, and I do the same thing: build the fastest computer I can afford or wish to spend money on.

It's "just" getting a bit faster. The time where there were technologies you had to have, are over for almost 10 years already. If you don't play games, there's not much difference between a computer from 2010 or 2020, except for the fact that the latter is faster; but even the 2010 computer can still do office tasks and play the games up to 2012 (or 2014 if you limit your expectations).

The only people I know that still get excited about new computer hardware are people who spend their entire free time gaming, and can't live with the newest game running slower than 160 FPS at 4K resolution.
Haha, everytime AMD doubles their core count I hear the champagne corks popping here. ;)

--
Srdja
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

smatovic wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Haha, everytime AMD doubles their core count I hear the champagne corks popping here. ;)
Upgrading from my current 4-core i7-6700K to something that has 16 cores (or more) is basically the only thing I'm looking at.

It'll probably stay at 32 GB RAM, which I also have now (just because I could two of the four sticks extremely cheap in a close-out sale), and I might even take my current GTX 1070 graphics card with me to the next computer because frankly, I don't really play games anymore. If I still play games, then The Witcher 3 (2015) is by far the newest, and it runs fine on a GTX 1070.

I'm actually contemplating to just keep my current computer another 3 years or more, and put a 16-core, 32 GB computer with remote desktop in the corner for testing chess engines. When, at some point I feel I have to replace the desktop, I'll sell it and replace it with the 16-core machine (inserting a graphics card in it), and upgrade that to something else.

We'll see. First AMD has to get their AM5 platform out, and Intel has to finally release something that succeeds the 10980XE cpu and X299 chipset. I'm in no hurry.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

10 year old GPUs can still play games fine. Better than current APUs and intel iGPUs still.

Just won't be 1080p high settings anymore.

Same goes for CPU if you have a i7-980X.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Raphexon wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:41 pm

10 year old GPUs can still play games fine. Better than current APUs and intel iGPUs still.

Just won't be 1080p high settings anymore.

Same goes for CPU if you have a i7-980X.
If you're just playing chess on it that's ok, for anyone that's into gaming that's just old outdated crap.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

It's "just" getting a bit faster. The time where there were technologies you had to have, are over for almost 10 years already.

So well said...it's sad that certain people often fail to realize this. One could say though that those endlessly chasing the unicorns might aid in the $$ R&D of the companies producing these new toys...or not. Maybe if companies instead came to realize that people will buy those terribly small incremental improvements...they would swing for the triple every time instead of just to get to first base. :wink:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

smatovic wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm Haha, everytime AMD doubles their core count I hear the champagne corks popping here. ;)

--
Srdja
I crack my knuckles and jump for joy when a new AMD super server comes out. My 3970x saves me a boatload of money when I am analyzing,
I almost never run my old server room servers around the clock like I used to. My old servers consumed perhaps 10KW/H and my new machine does more work than that whole bank at about 1KW/H

Over a year, that is serious money.
Now, when you factor in the eight thousand dollars or so I have in that machine, maybe the savings won't be that great even when amortized.
But the other thing it gives me is time. The same analysis can be done faster now.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Leo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:15 amIs anyone fired up about this? I find it interesting.

It's good to know that faster memory is becoming available, and that will probably have the effect of making current memory cheaper. I'm not "fired up" about it though. What I am excited about is SOC technology. What I'm seeing here is:

* very powerful chips

* a high proportion of the hardware that many devices need (can include multi-core CPU, GPU (even TPU in some cases), WiFi, Bluetooth, memory, rechargeable battery control, and many other things, some of which used to cost hundreds of dollars on their own)

* the power consumption can be as low as milliamps in some cases

* the cost of some of them can be unbelievably low (less than a dollar for low-end models, £4.80 for a complete Raspberry Pi - which also includes other components!)

For me, this is a revolution going on under our noses that we're missing - and I am "fired up" about this!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!