Hardest chess variant for human

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

duncan

Hardest chess variant for human

Post by duncan »

Which chess variants do humans find hardest, leading to mate against humans in less moves than regular chess?

Are there any variants where humans including grand masters make frequent tactical blunders, as the calculations are far too complex for a human, but simple for the computer.

How to Play 4D Chess

https://codeprojects.org/XL22-IlnhXtfp3 ... jJFcx-uHU/
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: Hardest chess variant for human

Post by mvanthoor »

Personally, I find variants very confusing:

- replace bishops by hawks (move from c1 to either e3 or f4, but not to d2, but in many variants can jump over pieces)
- replace knights by unicorns (move 1 forward, 1 diagonal like a knight, but also two forward and one diagonal, or 1 forward and 2 diagonal in some variants)

There are also variants where you have like an extra powerful version of each piece:
- rook => castle
- knight => unicorn
- bishop => hawk or archbishop
- queen => dragon
- pawn (soldier) => corporal / sargent (can move sideways, or can move 2 steps from any rank, that sort of thing)

And then one side can decide to replace a piece (replace one piece, or 3-4 pawns for example), and the other side can replace a different piece (or they can replace no pieces). Then you'll have to know a lot of movements, especially if the extra pieces are unusual. Add things like dropping captured pieces to that, and you quickly get into the unplayable territory because there's just too much to consider.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am Which chess variants do humans find hardest, leading to mate against humans in less moves than regular chess?

Are there any variants where humans including grand masters make frequent tactical blunders, as the calculations are far too complex for a human, but simple for the computer.

How to Play 4D Chess

I would expect that CrazyHouse chess would be such a variant, although of course this depends on how much effort goes into making a strong engine. But even the existing modified SF versions should be good enough to crush the best human in fewer moves than in normal chess. Another criterion could be how much handicap the best human needs. In normal chess, knight odds is enough for a top human (except with very short time limit); in Crazyhouse I don't think knight odds would be nearly enough.
Komodo rules!
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:14 am
duncan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am Which chess variants do humans find hardest, leading to mate against humans in less moves than regular chess?

How to Play 4D Chess

I would expect that CrazyHouse chess would be such a variant, although of course this depends on how much effort goes into making a strong engine. But even the existing modified SF versions should be good enough to crush the best human in fewer moves than in normal chess. Another criterion could be how much handicap the best human needs. In normal chess, knight odds is enough for a top human (except with very short time limit); in Crazyhouse I don't think knight odds would be nearly enough.
Do you have an estimate of how big a handicap you would need to defeat a strong CrazyHouse chess, in tournament conditions ?
towforce

Post by towforce »

duncan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 amHow to Play 4D Chess

It might be click bait, but in one video, players said that 5D chess was harming their mental health.

Thread link. In that thread, I posted a link to a video of GM Hikaru playing the game (he gave up after about an hour, though would have done better if he'd worked his way through the examples IMO).
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm

How to Play 4D Chess

Do you have an estimate of how big a handicap you would need to defeat a strong CrazyHouse chess, in tournament conditions ?
I am not a strong enough CrazyHouse player to answer your question, but in Shogi, the game that presumably inspired CrazyHouse chess with similar drop rules, I need rook plus bishop handicap to beat the strongest engine, and I am still technically the top-ranked American shogi player on the last pre-pandemic Pan-Atlantic rating list (no U.S. events since the Pandemic). Those are the two strongest pieces in shogi!
Komodo rules!
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am

How to Play 4D Chess

I am not a strong enough CrazyHouse player to answer your question, but in Shogi, the game that presumably inspired CrazyHouse chess with similar drop rules, I need rook plus bishop handicap to beat the strongest engine, and I am still technically the top-ranked American shogi player on the last pre-pandemic Pan-Atlantic rating list (no U.S. events since the Pandemic). Those are the two strongest pieces in shogi!
and do you have an estimate what handicap the world's top shogi player would need to defeat the strongest engine?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:34 pm
lkaufman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am

How to Play 4D Chess

and do you have an estimate what handicap the world's top shogi player would need to defeat the strongest engine?
I think that such a match at bishop handicap would be very close and interesting, though as with chess the human's chances go up with the time limit. In a game with a fast time limit I think that the human champ would lose with bishop handicap, with something like 3 hours per side he might have good chances. I haven't heard of any such games having been played; I'm sure that top pros have tried this privately, but not on record.
Komodo rules!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Fourth dimensional Go, played on a tesseract.
Hard to do in ordinary 3-space, but computers can always expand the inner dimension to enable one more.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:52 am Fourth dimensional Go, played on a tesseract.
Hard to do in ordinary 3-space, but computers can always expand the inner dimension to enable one more.
Go is not a "chess variant".
Komodo rules!