Lc0 in CCC matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Lc0 in CCC matches

Post by Jouni »

Why they still use outdated v0.27.0-rc1 and J94-100??
Jouni
Pedro
Full name: Pedro

Re: Lc0 in CCC matches

Post by Pedro »

And what are the strongest nets or version of Lc0 today?
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Obviously same situation as with SF: no progress with nets in 6 months! Both have reached their limits?
Jouni
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Pedro wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:49 am And what are the strongest nets or version of Lc0 today?
In my testings, T60 net 68002 is the strongest and clearly stronger than J94-100.

https://www.sp-cc.de/nn-vs-sf-testing.htm
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I think they should go to double sized networks, like FF2.
On high end hardware at decent time controls, 384x30 are clearly the strongest amongst those tested by the LC0 group.
I have found on my hardware the big networks are considerably stronger tactically.
Since tactical strength appears to be a function of network size, it makes sense to try 2x nets and maybe 4x nets.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 pm I think they should go to double sized networks, like FF2.
On high end hardware at decent time controls, 384x30 are clearly the strongest amongst those tested by the LC0 group.
I have found on my hardware the big networks are considerably stronger tactically.
Since tactical strength appears to be a function of network size, it makes sense to try 2x nets and maybe 4x nets.
Do I smell an area where Team Dragon are going? :wink:
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 pm I think they should go to double sized networks, like FF2.
The point is resources!
Bigger nets need longer time to train.And nobody knows which training methods/parameters is best to train. They are training on smaller nets like T70 to get those parameters before they can run on bigger nets.

Also, nobody knows plateau in current 30x384 nets are due to fully trained or just improperly trained.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

GPUs are also getting more powerful. Every 6 months or so, there will be a new crop, much more powerful than the previous.
I think the real problem with the LC0 approach right now is the miners who are hoarding the GPU cards.
It ramps up the price to sky-high and makes it hard for people to get the new technology.
And what is the produce of these bitcoin type miners?
It is the currency of criminals.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm GPUs are also getting more powerful. Every 6 months or so, there will be a new crop, much more powerful than the previous.
I think the real problem with the LC0 approach right now is the miners who are hoarding the GPU cards.
It ramps up the price to sky-high and makes it hard for people to get the new technology.
So true Dann,
Bitcoin Energy Consumption Debate

They say it crashes every 4 years, so wait for next Bitcoin Winter to get the latest GPU.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm GPUs are also getting more powerful. Every 6 months or so, there will be a new crop, much more powerful than the previous.
Lol, what do computer chess enthusiasts produce? What do you produce except burning electricity? What is the purpose of pushing a few Elo in a practically solved and dead game of chess???
Miners at least produce money and enable crypto transactions :mrgreen:.