Lc0 in CCC matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yurikvelo

Re: Lc0 in CCC matches

Post by yurikvelo »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 pm On high end hardware at decent time controls, 384x30 are clearly the strongest
On low-end (entry level CUDA-capable non-RTX 1st gen) and STC, 384x30 is clearly strongest.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm GPUs are also getting more powerful. Every 6 months or so, there will be a new crop, much more powerful than the previous.
I think the real problem with the LC0 approach right now is the miners who are hoarding the GPU cards.
It ramps up the price to sky-high and makes it hard for people to get the new technology.
And what is the produce of these bitcoin type miners?
It is the currency of criminals.
So true Dann,
Bitcoin Energy Consumption Debate

They say it crashes every 4 years, so wait for next Bitcoin Winter to get the latest GPU.
I have two 2080 Super cards in my favorite machine, and managed to get them for $559 each. Here is the line item from my invoice:
VC-265-204 EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER BLACK GAMING 8GB GDDR6 2 559.00 1,118.00
Those were brand new. Today, used:

Buy used:
$1,477.22
+ $7.50 shipping

So about three times the price that I paid new.

To quote Prince Humperdinck: "I want the Thieves' Forest emptied, and every inhabitant arrested!"
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm It is the currency of criminals.
nonsense, how did you come up with that? am I a criminal (I'm not mining btw)?
such a low blow...
Martin Sedlak
Milos

Post by Milos »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm GPUs are also getting more powerful. Every 6 months or so, there will be a new crop, much more powerful than the previous.
I think the real problem with the LC0 approach right now is the miners who are hoarding the GPU cards.
It ramps up the price to sky-high and makes it hard for people to get the new technology.
So true Dann,
Bitcoin Energy Consumption Debate

They say it crashes every 4 years, so wait for next Bitcoin Winter to get the latest GPU.
You see before mining 95% of GPUs were anyway used for totally irrelevant things like playing video games or training chess engines that only burn electricity.
For most ppl mining is a hobby the same as video games or computer chess. The difference is that mining also brings money which other hobbies that include burning of electricity don't (with exception of competitive video gaming).
So basically what you are saying is sour grapes. You are simply jealous that ppl have a hobby that uses a competitive resource but in the same time brings money and therefore is much more popular than your hobby.
If computer chess had the same kind of popularity today ppl would be talking about bloody comp chess enthusiast that are driving GPU prices crazy and just burning electricity for nothing. ;)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Milos wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 pm
Lol, what do computer chess enthusiasts produce? What do you produce except burning electricity? What is the purpose of pushing a few Elo in a practically solved and dead game of chess???
Miners at least produce money and enable crypto transactions :mrgreen:.
I did protein folding for the Covid-19 analysis problem.
I have done protein folding for other viruses as well.
And chess, at least, is completely harmless.
There are many other interesting cooperative projects I have helped.
Chess is not the majority of my GPU calculations.

Who is it, exactly who needs to hide their transactions from all banks and onlookers?
The GPU industry is the fuel of organized crime.
Not their fault (the GPU industry), of course. They produce the tools that can be used for good or bad.
Even a rifle can feed a starving family, or assassinate an honest official.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:35 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm It is the currency of criminals.
nonsense, how did you come up with that? am I a criminal (I'm not mining btw)?
such a low blow...
Crime is not the only use for crypto-currency.
But it is the only logical volume dealer.
Using Zelle, I have sent money to people thousands of miles away and it cost me nothing.
Why would I spend a boatload of money to do the same thing, unless I had something to hide?
Clearly, I would not.
I think that crypto-currency miners should all be arrested.
No, really, they are causing great harm to all of society.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm Crime is not the only use for crypto-currency.
and who says crime can't use fiat as well?

I prefer my lifetime savings in part in crypto rather than letting it rot in the bank, being slowly consumed by inflation,
while the bank is investing my hard earned virtual fiat and giving me a ridiculously small interest back that doesn't even compensate for the inflation.
of course an independent currency they can't control is not to their liking (and some governments like China for obvious reasons)
I bet that some banks actually invest in crypto as well
Martin Sedlak
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm Crime is not the only use for crypto-currency.
and who says crime can't use fiat as well?

I prefer my lifetime savings in part in crypto rather than letting it rot in the bank, being slowly consumed by inflation,
while the bank is investing my hard earned virtual fiat and giving me a ridiculously small interest back that doesn't even compensate for the inflation.
of course an independent currency they can't control is not to their liking (and some governments like China for obvious reasons)
I bet that some banks actually invest in crypto as well
Probably so, and I know that my opinion on this is very radical.
I have boxes of GPU cards and machines I could put them into.
I have had lots of friends tell me that I should mine crypto-currency.
Indeed, I could probably make thousands of dollars per month doing so.
But, for me personally, it would be a crime to do it because of how I feel about it.
For someone else, perhaps not.

Again, I suppose it is like making rifles. I own a rifle but I would never shoot a person with it, for any reason.
There are other people who would shoot others for invading their houses.
There are others who would shoot people they don't like.
There are others who would shoot people for pay.

So, since I own a rifle, perhaps I am a hypocrite of some sort.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:03 pm I have boxes of GPU cards and machines I could put them into.
Nope. To offset the cost of electricity you burn you need a card with at least 6GB of DDR5 memory, 192bit memory bus and made in 16nm process or better. I really doubt that you have boxes of GPU cards that satisfy those requirements ;).
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Milos wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:28 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:03 pm I have boxes of GPU cards and machines I could put them into.
Nope. To offset the cost of electricity you burn you need a card with at least 6GB of DDR5 memory, 192bit memory bus and made in 16nm process or better. I really doubt that you have boxes of GPU cards that satisfy those requirements ;).
You are right. I have only 4 cards that meet those requirements.