Dragon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: Dragon

Post by Nordlandia »

jshriver: just remember that two computer matches via internet usually require that move overhead paramter have to be adjusted to compensate for the latency or ping. For instance i used 300 ms against Ted from United States.

I remember that occasionally, the game would suddenly stop for unknown reasons. This is a bug or something network related i guess.

Previously i used last available Arena with auto232 multiplayer with necessary cables. It worked ok but Arena is bugged as well so i gave it up.

Fritz two computer match feature is neat but not perfect. There is some network issues that terminates games all of a sudden, every now and then.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:02 am Does the Dragon licence permit that ? By making that available free you may be taking business away from the Komodo team.
Good question and not really sure how that works. There are other users offering Komodo, Dragon, Shredder, Houdini, etc. I see it no different than letting a friend sit down at my computer and play. You're not giving them a copy to have/keep, its basically like a temporary adaptor to import an engine on someone elses computer.

Maybe someone on the Dragon/Komodo team can chime in. I will gladly refrain till I hear more.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

jshriver wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:14 pm
Modern Times wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:02 am Does the Dragon licence permit that ? By making that available free you may be taking business away from the Komodo team.
Good question and not really sure how that works. There are other users offering Komodo, Dragon, Shredder, Houdini, etc. I see it no different than letting a friend sit down at my computer and play. You're not giving them a copy to have/keep, its basically like a temporary adaptor to import an engine on someone elses computer.

Maybe someone on the Dragon/Komodo team can chime in. I will gladly refrain till I hear more.
I personally think this goes against the spirit of supporting the Komodo team. I'de guess they never had any fine print to stop these sorts of things. Maybe the exposure would be a net gain, maybe not. If I was in their shoes, I'de prefer individuals purchase their own copies.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:51 pm I personally think this goes against the spirit of supporting the Komodo team. I'de guess they never had any fine print to stop these sorts of things. Maybe the exposure would be a net gain, maybe not. If I was in their shoes, I'de prefer individuals purchase their own copies.
Yes hard to say. On the one hand it may promote sales, but on the other hand it may lead people to being able to use it free instead of purchasing.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:51 pm
jshriver wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:14 pm

I personally think this goes against the spirit of supporting the Komodo team. I'de guess they never had any fine print to stop these sorts of things. Maybe the exposure would be a net gain, maybe not. If I was in their shoes, I'de prefer individuals purchase their own copies.
I think the main purpose of the engine cloud is to be able to access superior HW, not different SW.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Can someone calculate how much it cost to lend a 64-core or 128-core server for an hour or two.

Lending cost chessbase ducats. Determine the lending rate and multiply by 60 if given per minute.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Nordlandia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:49 pm Can someone calculate how much it cost to lend a 64-core or 128-core server for an hour or two.

Lending cost chessbase ducats. Determine the lending rate and multiply by 60 if given per minute.
Depends on the users offering such machines, Jon, but those are around one ducat/minute, so about 60d=6€/hour. Personally I prefer some fewer cores for much lower prices regards
Peter.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Nordlandia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:49 pm Can someone calculate how much it cost to lend a 64-core or 128-core server for an hour or two.

Just took this pic.

200 ducats for 20 euro, for a high end system with 128-200+ cores would be about 6 euro an hour. For 64 cores its about half that.

You can get strong hardware for cheaper too like 16-32 cores for mayve 0.40-0.50 /hr. I bought 200 ducats before Christmas and have only managed to used about 12 of them, so they can go a long way.

I'm not sure how much it is in $US, some of their products are the same for Euro and Dollar, others they charge exchange rate. That hit me hard for Chessbase 17, think it ended up being around $160 US. Vaguely think 200 ducats was $20 US though, but don't quote me on it. :)
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Always buy when they have the 25% off semi-annual one-day sales (in spring/fall). The CB 16 upgrade was no more than $80.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:09 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:51 pm I personally think this goes against the spirit of supporting the Komodo team. I'de guess they never had any fine print to stop these sorts of things. Maybe the exposure would be a net gain, maybe not. If I was in their shoes, I'de prefer individuals purchase their own copies.
Yes hard to say. On the one hand it may promote sales, but on the other hand it may lead people to being able to use it free instead of purchasing.
You both raise good points, in the end, I do not believe this would be an issue for the K team as it does seem to support additional trials and possible sales.