NNUE ranking

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jim Logan

NNUE ranking

Post by Jim Logan »

Perhaps I do not understand the issues - but has anyone done some testing of the strength of various nets? Like Stockfish 13 with default net vs. Stockfish 13 with any other net. All I ever see, and I presume it to be true, is that the default net is the strongest, and not only when used with Stockfish, but when used with many other engines.

So other than for variety of play, why should anyone use something other than the default Stockfish net?

I hope I don't sound too naïve with such a question.
Ferdy

Re: NNUE ranking

Post by Ferdy »

Jim Logan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:02 am All I ever see, and I presume it to be true, is that the default net is the strongest,
Probably true, but there can be a couple of people that already have a net that can defeat the SF 13 net.
Jim Logan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:02 amand not only when used with Stockfish, but when used with many other engines.
SF 13 engine is optimized for SF 13 net or SF 13 net is optimized for SF 13 engine. The other engines have their own way of optimization too.
Jim Logan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:02 am So other than for variety of play, why should anyone use something other than the default Stockfish net?
It is called respect. A lot of resources are put into developing a net, not only the generated data and training but also the code that ultimately creates the net, the code that reads the net and the whole idea behind it. These things are now given, it is too much to take the SF net too. But a lot of people are trying to beat the best net from SF, can be via data generation, training methods and others.