I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play it.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JimmyRustles
Full name: Steven Griffin

I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play it.

Post by JimmyRustles »

Hi everyone,

I've written an openings explorer that shows you a wiki page for each opening as you play through the opening moves. It also highlights book moves on the board so you can see which continuations have entries.

All the data is taken from Wikibooks:Chess Opening Theory, and the database has over 1000 opening lines, with an article for every line.

Screenshot: Image

Video:

You can download the openings explorer free at my website here: http://ravenchess.org/openingsexplorer.php

If you decide to try it out, please let me know how you found it and if you have any suggestions or feedback.
Graham Banks

Re: I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play

Post by Graham Banks »

Well done! Must have taken a while. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JimmyRustles

Re: I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play

Post by JimmyRustles »

Thanks Graham. I've had the idea for a few months now, but surprisingly it only took a few days to implement.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

JimmyRustles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 am Hi everyone,

I've written an openings explorer that shows you a wiki page for each opening as you play through the opening moves. It also highlights book moves on the board so you can see which continuations have entries.

All the data is taken from Wikibooks:Chess Opening Theory, and the database has over 1000 opening lines, with an article for every line.

Video:

You can download the openings explorer free at my website here: http://ravenchess.org/openingsexplorer.php

If you decide to try it out, please let me know how you found it and if you have any suggestions or feedback.
Great work!! Congrats! Would be interesting to somehow link up with ECO or MCO or Chess Informants
In Some Fashion...AR :) :wink:
JimmyRustles

Post by JimmyRustles »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 am
JimmyRustles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 am Hi everyone,

Video:

Great work!! Congrats! Would be interesting to somehow link up with ECO or MCO or Chess Informants
In Some Fashion...AR :) :wink:
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I would really like to have a better database for this. Chess Opening Theory isn't bad and covers some lines very well, but it's very lacking on some lines and doesn't provide any information for some lines apart from theory tables.

I noticed that Wikipedia sometimes has much more detailed articles than Chess Opening Theory so I was planning to scrape Wikipedia and store both in the database, so for each line it can show the Wikipedia or the Chess Opening Theory page if they exist and there'd be tabs to select between them.

Alternatively, I'd like to find a big free encyclopedia of chess openings that has tens of thousands of lines that I could use.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Does it run with Linux ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
JimmyRustles

Post by JimmyRustles »

Ponti wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm Does it run with Linux ?
I've only compiled it for Windows but you should be able to run it with python on linux by following the instructions on the github.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

Thanks for the new webtool. I looks great!
I'm looking for such a tool for a long time, so I can easily document my repertoire.
This is an other website with annotations for opening lines:
http://myweb.astate.edu/wpaulsen/chess/chess.htm
But the notation are in long algebraic notation and I find it difficult to navigate to the lines I want with this website.
I also find this website: http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

I get a virus warning from Malwarebytes if I try to run raven_openings_explorer.exe
Trojan.Glupteba

It is probably a false virus alert from Malwarebytes.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 pm I get a virus warning from Malwarebytes if I try to run raven_openings_explorer.exe
Trojan.Glupteba

It is probably a false virus alert from Malwarebytes.
I get a virus warning from Kaspersky when downloading already ...
Sven Schüle (engine author: Jumbo, KnockOut, Surprise)